Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom p-bass, under $250

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Mind Eroded

Mind Eroded Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    It all started out with a rondo SPB62. I was happy with it completely stock until my friend got me a pair of SD basslines. After that i installed them i decided to put in a MightyMite maple/maple neck. To my suprise it fit in perfectly(the neck fit into the pocket as tightly as possible). The output on this thing is amazing and it has that sharp clanky love it or hate it steve harris tone with diaddario xl's and the tone knob turned all the way up. Small investment for a great sounding bass. Heres a crappy pic of it...

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm jonesing for a P-bass hardcore right now. I've been playing alot of dub reggae lately.

That's interesting that the Mighty Mite neck fit on there that well. How much did it cost?

I really can't afford another bass right now, not until I unload one of my older ones! But I'd really like to try my hand at hot-rodding a bass.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Uh, they're $130.00 last time I checked. How is that neck? Is the fretwork ok?

4. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Nah, I'm looking at them now. $94 on ebay, new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mighty-Mite-PBa...356477900QQcategoryZ38079QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not bad, if I bought an SX and the fret job absolutely sucked, I'd spring for one rather than pay for a fretjob. Supposing that is that it would actually fit. I think it's just chance that Mind Eroded got an SX body that fit so well with a Fender licensed neck. Last time I emailed Kurt, he said that there would be a bit of hacking needed to make one fit in there.

BTW, is Hambone in here somewhere? Didn't he manage to carve up an SX P (His "Trooper" Steve Harris tribute) to fit an aftermarket neck?

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    The neck Hambone used on The Trooper is just an SX replacement neck. I should know, I own it lol

6. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Ok, hehe. I knew he put on another neck, but didn't know what kind.

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Yeah the stock neck had rosewood fretboard, not very steve harris, so I just ordered one of the replacement necks with it for 40 bucks. It did need some work though. Hambone leveled all the frets (and did an amazing job) put the decal on, and sprayed the gloss finish, among the long list of other things he did. Its really a wonderful bass, I couldnt be happier.

8. Mind Eroded

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    i guess i did luck out with the MM neck. If it didnt fit i was ready to sand down the pocket on the body, but thankfully that wasnt neccessary. the fret job on the new neck is ok, a few sharp frets here and there but overall quality was good ,considering i nabbed it on ebay for about 80 bucks shipped. I used the SX tuners on it and found them to be suitable and i have no real need to change any other hardware. I may go for a new bridge sometime and also might gut out the electronics, but not anytime soon. The neck came with a clear satin finish. it seems a bit dry for my tastes but i dont know much about lacquering.

9. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Sounds good Mind Eroded, those essex basses are great for modding or staying stock. heres the link so you can see mine. The closeup of the headstock doesnt seem to show up in the thread, but I have The Trooper written in the Iron Maiden font decaled on there, with by Hambone underneath.

10. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    usually the SX neck pocket is a tad larger than Fender, which is why there's a fit problem sometimes. You'd have a gap, so you'd have to be good at lining it up straight.

11. One of the reasons for this is the thicker finish used on the Essex necks. The wood part themselves are very, very close to the same size if not THE same size. I've done lots of testing and retesting with necks of all sorts including Warmoth's and SX bodies. Warmoths do fine in SX bodies but like all mods done to these basses, some work better than others. Having good assembly skills will get you through the more difficult combinations.

12. Mind Eroded

Apr 25, 2003
    Brooklyn/Buffalo, NY
    I consulted Hambone prior to doing this and he assured me id have little to no trouble with the neck swap. Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, it turned out really nicely.