1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom P Bass Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wade10987, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have a P bass that I converted into a fretless. I am replacing the pickup and putting in a DiMarzio DP 127. I am adding a Seymour Duncan Hot Jazz to the bridge position.

I have found a wiring schematic for a Special P Bass, but those have more knobs.

I want to connect the Jazz Bass pickup to a kill switch for volume, and have it running wide open.

How would I wire the DiMarzio P bass pickup normally and incorporate the Jazz Bass with it's kill switch?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'd recommend a dimarzio jazz pickup too, like an ultra jazz.

any stack is gonna be way weak in comparison to that loud P pickup, and the hot jazz is gonna be noisy.

you want to add the J in to the P, without extra knobs?

make one knob a push-pull that switches in the jazz pickup, so it's still controlled by the volume and tone. (i vote tone knob so it's out of the way, and to wire it so that whichever setting you use most is "down", with "up" being the other setting.)

3. Wire the J pickup's hot to the common, one throw to ground and the other throw to where the P pickup's hot is connected on the volume pot.

4. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    WalterW, I am set on the pickups I bought. Sorry, I would listen and try recommendations but I already purchased and opened them. One of the reasons I have a DiMarzio P bass PU and a Duncan Jazz PU is, for the MOST part, I kinda planned to play them separately. I imagined flicking the kill switch and having that Jazz roar with the default P bass pickup turned down, or hit the kill switch off again and roll the volume back up to get the thicker P bass sound.

5. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't wanna add the Jazz PU in to the mess, just more or less run it separately. Is it possible to use a kill switch for the J vol, and then let the J and P share a tone knob?

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    What Walter is saying is that the Jazz pickup will hum. The DiMarzio Jazz pickup would not hum.

7. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    SGD Lutherie, It will hum even alone?

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Yes. It's not a hum canceling pickup.

9. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Is the hum going to be so bad it will be unbearable to play? Can I buy a noise suppressor pedal or something?

I knew a pair of two different brand pickups would not be the most ideal match, but I also did not think it would be impossible. Is my only option to go with a DiMarzio Jazz PU?

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That depends on where you are playing. Some clubs are nosier than others.

It's not that they are two different brands. The jazz pickup is a single coil. On Jazz basses with two single coils, they hum cancel when both pickups are mixed to equal volume.

On a P/J bass, the P pickup is already a humbucker. So it will not stop the J from humming. And all single coils hum when soloed. Once again, it might not hum much, or might be really bad, depending on your environment, and on how much the noise bothers you. Some people seem to not care.

Walter was pointing out that the DiMarzio is a hum canceling J pickup. The Duncan is not. Duncan does make a stacked J humbucker, but it has less output than the DiMarzio, so the DiMarzio will balance with the P much better.

11. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    OHhhh ok. I didnt realize the DiMarzio Jazz is hum canceling on its own. I thought it had something to do with the brands matching.

I suppose I will see if it works. And if not I will be selling a (nearly) brand new Hot Jazz pickup. I still don't know how to wire these two pickups together into my P Bass though...

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    [​IMG]

13. Wade10987

Wade10987

Sep 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL