1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom paint job?? Ballpark cost?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mikewalker, Dec 20, 2018.

1. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Can anyone tell me the going rate for a good quality custom paint job... metalflake, sparkle... in USA or Canada

From finish-sanded bare wood...

sealer - color coat - flakes - clearcoats- polishing typa job.

Say a polyester or acrylic finish - on a p bass body only??

Thanks in advance!

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Most of the established guitar painters will charge you around $250 for a custom metalflake finish on a typical body.

So you know, a metalflake finish is about the most expensive kind, requiring the most coats and some special expertise. Some of the good painters don't do metalflake, because it's too much mess and hassle.

mikewalker likes this.
  3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    That pricing does not include any prep work. Stripping, repair work, sanding, and filling cost more. Many of the pros will not paint guitars that have been prepped by others. All will inspect other's prep work. They may refuse to paint unless the prep work meets their standard or will charge to bring the piece up to their standards.

mikewalker and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

mikewalker likes this.
  5. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I got a Marty Bell large metal flake Silver finish job about 2 years ago. It was around $360 with shipping. Worth every penny! Marty is very likely #1 with sparkle.

DSCF7619.JPG DSCF7620.JPG DSCF7629.JPG

6. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Cincy Customs does some nice work.

7. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Does anyone know of someone who does "stripes" style paint jobs for bass? It looks like I have an extra bass body, and I'm trying to think of something fun to do with it, finish-wise.

8. Cliff Colton

Cliff Colton

Nov 7, 2016
    EVH

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Is contact GMW guitars in Southern California. They do all sorts of custom paint