1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

custom paint job co$t ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Jun 14, 2012.

1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Does anybody have a ballpark idea of how much it might cost if one wanted some kind of unique paint job done on your bass? Assuming it's not too fancy of a design- maybe your band logo, or some leopard spots, or some other unique tricolor pattern on the body. Just to make your favorite axe truly one of a kind. :cool: Is this something you would take to a luthier to have done??

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Your best bet is to figure out what you want, then give Pat Wilkins a call. (818) 909-7310. You won't find anyone who can do a better job for you.

3. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    There are usually guys around who paint art on cars, motorcycles, leather, toilet seats, anything you want.

They don’t have to know anything about guitars or musical instruments, so long as you or someone takes it apart and gives them what parts you want painted.

Find who’s around in your area.

4. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    It's the putting it back together that concerns me, that's why I thought maybe a luthier might have to do it. I don't yet have a bass that feels quite perfect enough to go down that road yet, but hopefully in the not too distant future. :bassist: I'll ask at BassNorthwest first since they're like a mile away from me.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Pat is a luthier, as well as finisher. He finishes all U.S. Sadowskys, Laklands, Lulls and others. Check out his website.

6. + 1

Pat has done 2 refins for me and his work is excellent. He's an industry benchmark.

7. Gonna be 'spensive for sure. You're talking about a refin plus custom artwork. You may find that the luthier/finisher guys don't even want the job.

If it were my project, I'd find a local guy that does custom motorcycle paint jobs. Still won't be cheap, but they're into that sort of thing.

Re-assembling the guitar is the easy part. Good luck.

8. +1. I had a few things go through Pat (including electronics-only work) and all have been astounding.

While car painters can spray color on a surface, there is a lot more that goes into a proper paint job. Too much paint and it will affect tone. Pat, being a skilled luthier himself, will let you know if what you want to do is going to have any adverse effects on the bass.

9. I'd be surprised if Wilkins has the time or interest for leopard spot paint. And if he does, I'd love to hear the price quote.

As far as having a "car painter" doing the job...don't. Talk to a custom motorcycle painter. They're usually highly skilled and won't goop up the job.

You're not talking nitro paint anyway, so there won't be any discernable difference in how the guitar sounds.

My hunch is no matter who you talk to, the price for a high quality job is likely gonna have you reconsidering the whole project.

Please post again when you get some solid info.

10. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Here's an answer to your question:
    http://www.guitarpaintguys.com/

11. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    $200- $400 depending on what you want done typically and thats just a body.

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

13. painting your own band logo on your bass seems tacky to me, kinda like the band members who wear their own T-shirts :rollno: ;)

I use this guy

http://www.martybellfinishing.com/

14. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Thanks for the great info & links everybody. I knew the higher end pro prices would match the price of the instrument, so I would most likely go the DIY route if I do find that bass that feels perfect but doesn't quite look it.

I'm not even in a band at this point, so the logo thing was just a for-instance. I do, however, think that purple leopards are beautiful animals .. despite what Pat may think ;)

Anyway, I appreciate all the input and bookmarked them all just in case. In a few months I'll be seriously hunting for the perfect bass & sidelining my Yamaha starter after I save up some cabbage

15. I hope that you know, as soon as that band logo goes on that bass, you guys will probably break up. IMHO, it's like puttin' a tattoo of a girls name on your arm. You'll eventually be doomed.

16. For information and supplies for guitar painting go to reranch.com
    they are the industry leader in diy learning.
    Rocky

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I'm pretty sure he'd do it. Probably expensive though.

18. Pat is very reasonable with pricing. All you have to do is ask him to find out.