Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom paint job

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metallicarules, May 22, 2002.

1. I think an appropriate function for this thread would be as a venue in which those fortunate folks with a positive monetary value assigned to their lives could put on display their imaginative and beautiful custom painted basses...and possibly even share with those less gifted individuals the approximate increase in debt such a creative overcoating would present.

This is mine which existed only in my head until I spent several hours transferring the information to my computer using bits and pieces of stuff I found all over the internet.

2. ...and the second option, which is better?

3. wow, those are really nice designs..

what kind of bass are you painting?

btw, i like the first one..

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Number One

5. I'm just dreaming, right now I just have a cheap Ibanez GSR 200 but as soon as I get another bass I probably won't play that anymore so it's not worth painting. I've always liked custom paint jobs though so I had a creative moment and I thought I'd just plan ahead.

6. I prefer the second one.

Pat Wilkins is probably the man in luthiery for paint jobs. I think the URL is www.wilkinsguitars.com.

Check out the paint job for my strat. This was my dream and Pat made it a reality. It's the left half of my avatar and also in the pics link below. (The other half of the avatar is my Sadowsky bass.)

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i woulkd go for the number II

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No freaking kidding. The job he did on my Warmoth quilt maple Jazz bass (Very large Pic: My Green Jazz Bass) is incredible (that picture doesn't do it justice).
    That is a neato finish!

I thought Wilkins does more traditional colors and burst finishes, not airbrushing and graphics.

9. That translucent green bass is gorgeous: the color and grain! Nice one.

10. This is a Yamaha BB1600 from about 20 years ago it was originally a natural wood color. Nothing special about the pickups or neck or electronics. It plays really well and one day I'll put the money into it for some upgrades. I'd like a jazz style neck, and maybe some barts or other replacement pups. For now though I refuse to sell it for the body paint job. It was done by a friend of mine I haven't seen in years, (so if you read this give me a call) as a test job before doing Steve Vais guitars for the Passion and Warfare album. I got to go to the opening album party for that and meet him too.:D

11. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Speaking as a guy who thouroughly modified a bass then couldn't sell it, keep resale in mind before you "transform" your axes. Are you sure you're going to keep these for decades? If not, you generally take a bath on resale if you do any modifications to a bass.

A hard lesson I'm simply trying to pass on.

12. Mrx41862,

I LOVE that bass. Great job. Who did it?

13. Thanks...I like it enough to have kept it 17 or so years. A friend of mine had a company
    About Time Designs. He got a contract with Ibanez to paint guitars in this fashion after Steve Vais album went big. You still see one once in a while hanging in a shop. Well he moved to Florida and as it sometimes goes, we lost touch.:confused:

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    IMO this Ritter qualifies as a fantastic paint job:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

as do these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

although I think I'd be too afraid of damaging the last two to play them.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That Marble Ritter sent me int GAS convulsions when I first saw it a few months ago.

And I very much dig the First design of Metallicarules.

If I ever had a custom paint job...it'd just be a large glow in the dark Biohazard symbol on a black bass.

16. Oh yeah, just in case anyone was wondering, the big logo on my designs is a 3d version of the new Edmonton Oiler crest.

17. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I like number two better.

18. Those Ritters are outrageous....very cool.:D

19. Just a tip from an old illustrator:

You really should work your design with the hardware in place. Your images show a lot of work and it would be a shame to suddenly realize that a ¼" here or there would make the difference in having as much of the design visible and legible as possible. You'd be surprised how much of the body gets covered by bridges, knobs and pickup cavities.

From the "been there, done that" bin...

20. viva death

viva death

Apr 17, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    nice clear green!