1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Painted Strap 3: Boutique Bass Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richnota, Jul 29, 2007.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I got the third of the three custom tiki straps made for me by Julius Medina.

I wanted to capture some classic tiki bar vibe for my fretless.

His work is wonderful.

The price may be a bit high versus a piece of nylon if youre looking for something to hold your bass up. For me these are a bit of collectible art (or tattoos?).

Not sure what the next them might be...maybe classic surfing images? toasters?

L1010701.

L1010702.

L1010663.

L1010662.

DSC_0002.

2. That's cool.

His prices don't seem that bad for custom leather work. I take alot of time deciding what strap goes best with what instrument, and this is a way where I don't have to go searching 5 different shops to find what I want.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Fantastic. I've loved keeping up with these pics as you've received new straps. I'd love to commission some work from him, but I really don't know what I'd want!

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Awesome. My favorite is the third one, the "busiest" images one, it seems like it would really create a whole tiki environment in a several-foot radius around you. :p

5. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    does this guy have a website...I'd kill to have straps made for my basses.....!

6. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    his site is http://www.medinamade.com/

he has a line of existing designs but has been very receptive to custom. Hes a one man shop...one strap was very quick, one took a while. Be sure to read his FAQ....it tells all about his process.

7. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    A classic surfing theme might be pretty cool. Maybe throw on an old Woody or two, maybe landmarks from a famous spot or two, and of course, you'd have to throw on the Duke:
    [​IMG]

8. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I love the old surf photos from the 30s. a great image of the duke kahanamoku.

duke.

9. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I like the way you think!
    Is each strap assigned to a particular bass, as they're presented in the pictures, or do you swap them out according to your mood. Reason I ask, is because I've been curious lately as to whether or not I'm the only weird-o who has to have a particular strap for each bass, and they have to match that bass aesthetically. That makes me think a surf-themed strap with some painted waves would look great with that first Veillette. And that Moa would match my Benavente pretty nicely.

10. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    A surf strap WOULD look great on the "ocean" veillette.

I started with a general sense of which strap would go with which bass...picking up on each bass' particular personality.

11. Love them all!!! You read my mind. I've been thinking of getting a strap with a pic of the easter island head on it and I'd never heard of this guy. I'll be ordering one soon! Are those 4" straps?

12. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Amazing straps! I'm starting to think about a design I'd like to order.

By the way Richnota, excellent choice for each bass. :)

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I called and talk straps with him... nice guy, does fly-ball with his dogs if I remember correctly.

His prices were great for what you get. I haven't ordered because I've no clue what to get.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Pretty cool , enjoy ! :bassist: