1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Custom "Parts" (Josh Helms) 5-String ... GORGEOUS & "HOT"

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by funkyjudge, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    EDIT (1/17/2012): I am editing this thread to clarify some issues that have been brought to my attention -- Some here wish to call this a "parts bass", and I can go with that. The "parts" used in its construction are clearly identified below, and in prior threads regarding this bass that I have linked ... and Josh Helms DID do the work for the original owner of this bass, for what that is worth!

I acquired this excellent 5-string bass here recently, and although it is a very nice bass with a set of "hot" Seymour Duncan SMB-5A (Music Man-style) pickups, and a to-die-for body of burl maple with a dark stain, it just not the 5-string for me!

Here is a link to the classified (trade-down) thread from which I purchased this bass (LOTS of great hi-res photos in this thread) --

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/trade-down-josh-helms-custom-5-a-839482/

And the original thread listing this bass last August, from which my seller obtained it through a trade --

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/trade-feeler-custom-parts-5-string-duncan-mm-pups-803537/

A bit of background regarding this bass's components:

1. The Carvin neck has an ebony fingerboard, 1.75" nut width, and 14" fingerboard radius, with 22 frets and a 34" scale length as installed on this bass. The frets are medium-jumbo and are of hard alloy material, the nut is graphite, and the fingerboard is diamond-ground to be accurate within 1/1000 of an inch. Here is the link to the neck blank on Carvin's website -- Carvin.com - Custom Shop :: n522
    2. These powerful Seymour Duncan Basslines 1976-voiced Music Man-type humbuckers have a higher output than many active pickups (with preamp engaged); here is a description on the Duncan website -- 4/5 string for Music ManĀ® (alnico) SMB-4a & -5a - Seymour Duncan 4-String
    3. The actual weight of this bass (according to my shipping scale) is closer to 8.75 lbs. than 8 lbs., as was originally posted; that is still plenty lightweight for a 5-string bass.

If you know what a Music Man 5-string bass sounds like, you'll have a pretty good idea what to expect from this bass. The nice narrow neck (as narrow as you can get on a 5-string), and 14" fingerboard radius, with ebony fingerboard, make it a pleasure to play. I have given it a new set of GHS Custom Shop "Pressurewound" strings, done a neck and bridge setup that suits my semi-aggressive playing style (some neck relief, medium string action (not super-low, but not super-high either), and even though it was basically immaculate when I got it, I gave it a thorough cleaning when I changed the strings last week. It has about 6 to 9 hours playing time on it since changing the strings, and I "tweaked" the setup last night.

[DEL]I'd like to get $900 shipped[/DEL] PRICE REDUCED TO $800 FOR A QUICK SALE (in the lower 48 - Continental USA) for this bass, and I am taking a significant loss at that price. Some are questioning the pricing of this bass ... If you like it, and think you would like to buy it, send me an offer via PM and we can go from there. The "parts" that were used in its construction easily total as much or more than I am asking for it, and when you add-in the labor to build it (including the shaping and finishing work that was done on the neck), this is a $1,200 to $1,300 bass at a minimum!

I will also include a $100 (best discount price .... list price is $199.99) RoadRunner hardshell case with this bass.

If GHS Pressurewounds are not to your liking, I will include one or more sets of stainless steel roundwounds (I have Dunlops, Michael Tobias Design, etc.).

In addition to the pic's in the initial thread, I am posting a bunch of new ones that I took this morning in the next few posts.

Please PM me if you are interested in this bass.

2. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    (see attachments)

Attached Files:

3. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    (a couple more photos)

Attached Files:

4. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I am actually converting ALL of my digital photos into my Photobucket album(s) and attaching them here, as needed.

5. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    WOW!

6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  7. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
  8. whyrockbass

whyrockbass

Oct 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Nice find narud! Can we see a price drop?

9. togglehead

togglehead Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    PM'd

10. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    +1. Ignorance is bliss I guess. It's actually stupid and can cause harm.

I had traded an item for this bass two months ago. I needed money to refinance my mortgage so I decided to trade down! Doug wanted to buy the bass from me so I sold it to him for what I had into it. REGARDLESS of the previous thread, which I also noticed afterwards, I had no issues as I did not buy it from K-Punk. The bass was well worth the money I put into it AND sold it for. It's worth every penny.
    DO NOT trash Doug for trying to sell a bass for what he paid, nor I for that matter. It's careless, rude and hurtful for those involved. Period.
    Give me a 'lil time and I will buy back this bass from Doug for what he is asking. This bass IS THAT GOOD. Then maybe you trouble makers can go shop elsewhere. Email sent to you FunkyJudge.

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    What's the action like? I dig it super low.

Is the neck tapered from heel to nut, or straight like a Warwick? (meaning, is the string spacing wider at the heel than the nut or the same the whole way?

I dig it. I'm still on the edge about it, but I keep returning to this thread.

12. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Jordan -

I had the action set at a medium height on this bass before I received your post. I now have it set fairly low (I adjusted the relief a bit, lowered the bridge saddles, re-tuned the bass, and played it a little). It probably will not go much lower than the current medium-low action, unless you use some higher-tension strings on it, such as the DR Lo-Riders. There is no fret buzz, unless you dig into it really hard with your left hand above the 12th to 15th fret ... and then, only a slight amount of fret buzz on the middle strings (mainly the A, possibly a tiny bit on the E), not on the upper (D and G) strings! This is why I say that you would not want to try to set the action any lower, unless you switch to high-tension strings. Most people don't play on the upper frets on the lower or middle strings as they sometimes tend to do on the uppr strings (particularly on the G-string when soloing), so this shouldn't be an issue. Besides, setting the action just 1/64" higher on the E and A strings will eliminate any chance of upper fret buzz. The relief really doesn't need to be set any higher, in my opinion.

In answer to your question regarding the string spacing -- The spacing at the bridge is wider (18mm, but adjustable with this bridge) than at the 1.75" wide nut.

One other thing that you should take note of -- The B-string has a ferrule and hole for routing this string through the body (like what Mike Lull does on his 5-string basses). I don't have the B-string strung through the body, because the set of GHS Custom Shop Pressurewound strings that I have on it did not have enough length on the B-string to do this without having some of the silk wrap resting in the nut slot. Longer strings (or a set without silk wraps at the top end) would allow for stringing through the body and a tighter B-string. I feel that the B-string on this bass is a bit "flabby" sounding with the strings that I have on it now .... but this wasn't the case with the strings that came on the bass (I think that those were Rotosounds or Dean Markleys), and it wouldn't be with the B-string through the body.

I hope that this helps!

Doug

13. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Price reduced for a quick sale .... as you can see by the comments of the prior owner, this bass is worth much more than even my original asking price. I am also including a $199.99 (retail ... $100 best discount) Road Runner hardshell case and an extra set of Dunlop straplok buttons and locking washers with the bass.

14. MasterBass!

MasterBass! Reaching new Highs in Lows!! Supporting Member

Dougie Bumpie

15. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    I think it's very nice. Beautiful in fact.

16. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Thanks, Moe!

17. MasterBass!

Bumpster for Dougster

18. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    New set of DR Nickel Lo Riders installed, and this baby is sounding good .... but finances (and too many basses) dictate that I must sell, so here's a bump.

19. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Although the "quick sale" hasn't happened, the price on this bass is still $800 shipped .... with a couple spare string sets. Folks, this is truly a bargain price!

20. MasterBass!

Mugwhump & Barfelsnark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.