1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Pickguard maker in Canada?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Nyarlathotep, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Here's the deal: My SX Jazz 5s pickguard is WAY off the holes and shape of the standard fender guard. Not really close, and definitely no ciggy.

So, Im looking to get one custom shaped. Unfortunately I can't find a place in Canada that does em.

Why in Canada you ask? Cus I'd love to just send the guard lock stock and 2 smoking barrels and just get them to cut it from that, and I'd love to keep it in Canada.

I hope this is the right forum for this....

Thanks,
    --Dan

2. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Can't help with the Canada part.
    i've had stuff done by Roger at
    Jeannies custom pickgaurds sent
    him my old one he copied it perfectly,
    i didn't have to pay any extras such
    as tax,duty,came back regular mail..

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :meh: thanks

4. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Have you considered contacting one of the Canada-based luthiers and asking if they would take it on? I don't know where you are located, but it couldn't hurt to run the idea by Mike Kinal or Laurence Mollerup.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Im in Victoria BC. Nice place.

As for Canadian luthiers, I wouldn't even know where to start.... other than the 2 you mention.

The thread linked in the sticky only lists USofA. No Canada :(

6. Griev

Griev

Aug 30, 2008
    Sunny florida
    Theres one in Newmarket, Ontario. I haven't had one made yet but I have talked to them over e-mail and they were very helpful.

http://www.pickguardcorner.com/

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Oooo.... Me likey :D

8. Griev

Griev

Aug 30, 2008
    Sunny florida
    I hoped you would. :D

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Well, I e-mailed the Pickguard Corner dude(s), and have sent off my pickguard to be the template :D

A new tort guard should be on its way to me soon(ish) :D

10. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    sweet ! congrats dude. and this is an all canadian thread. I should contact that Alex guy and ask him to transfer my name from the US to a Canada section. I think he mentioned he wasnt able too though.... dammit.

11. Griev

Griev

Aug 30, 2008
    Sunny florida
    I've e-mailed him too and have a custom pickguard and truss rod cover to be made for my thunderbird.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Well. Time for an update:

NewPickguard002Medium.

NewPickguard005Medium.

NewPickguard006Medium.

I just had to file out the pup route a little, which is no biggie. The only thing that went "wrong" in my dealings with PGC was that it took a week to get my guard shipped PRIORITY, but that was THE FUALT OF THE POST OFFICE :mad:

:D anyways, these guys kept in touch through out the whole thing. Prompt replys to e-mail, the whole shebang. I would definitely get a guard thru them again :D

13. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    Unfortunately the OP didn't have the pics posted on this thread at the time I ordered a "tort" pickguard from Pickguardcorner.com ...

I ordered mine, had great difficulty getting reply emails after the order was replaced (apparently computer problems, but I read on other sites - again after the fact - of other people having the same problem at different times), and then just got it today.

This is NOT tortoise shell! I don't know what it is ... the pics actually make it look better than it really is. The white backing is actually paper on which the pattern was photocopied. Then it is covered with a clear plastic guard that has visible air pockets between it and the paper backing.

Needless to say ... I should have just ordered the real thing from Fender, and now will. At least it wasn't an expensive lesson ... not even worth the shipping cost to return.

Just a heads up to any others shopping for pickguards. I have had excellent experiences with Greasygroove.com ... thought I'd go closer to home this time with regrettable results (even if I appreciate the shielding).

This won't be going on my sunburst p-bass, that's for sure.

I'm usually laid back and accepting ... until I get played for a fool. Tort!??!

DSC04848-1.

DSC04849.

14. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Well, although I think that pickguard's cool, its not anywhere near tortoiseshell...

15. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    I'll have a genuine Fender one in two weeks now ... anyone want a red/black bizarre pattern pickguard? Just pay the shipping ... lol (the air pockets are noticeable up close in person though).

It's at least the right fit for Standard MIA and MIM p-basses, and definitely one-of-a-kind. :)

16. conundrum

conundrum

May 10, 2008
    Canada
    CPplaysBASS, how much did the genuine Fender pickguard cost, and where did you order it from, a dealer or Fender direct?

17. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    ok, just while were on the subject, what exactly is tort made of, its immitation i assume, not real tortis shell

18. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    I ordered it through a dealer (Lou's Music in Hamilton, ON, Canada). I paid $57 after taxes in Canadian dollars ... I've been quoted $65 before tax from other places. Not the cheapest pickguard for sure, but it was replacing a white one, and it really does change the whole look of the bass, so I'm happy with the small investment!

19. Hawk_GP

Hawk_GP

Oct 5, 2005
    Well definately thanks for posting that, I was going to order the same for my Jazz but no thanks! That looks nasty....