Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CUSTOM PICKGUARD: NEED HELP BADLY!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kratekyle, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Yeah I know, another stupid pickguard question, but this one is a little different. I spent several hours yesterday on custom pickguard sites and searching the T.B. forum for clues, with no luck.

I have a fender CIJ '75 ri with a bound and blocked maple fretboard.

#1 What pickguard color matches the fretboard binding? It is "creamier" than white, but whiter than the pics of cream pickguards I have seen. Could it be "parchment" or "milkwhite"? It is hard to judge the exact matching color from a pic on the computer, but it seems that "parchment" is the closest. Anyone know for sure?

#2 What I am trying to do is have a pickguard that matches my fretboard. I am thinking that a 2 ply with a thin black or rosewood top and a thick bottom layer that matches the binding would look classy! (and unique). I need it to be 2 ply so the lighter (binding matching) color really stands out. I have yet to see a 2 ply with a black top and a parchment or cream bottom.

Do you know of anyone who could make such a pickguard possable? :eyebrow:

Thanks for any help!

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Ask a luthier near you or any of the US via e-mail.

3. Yeah, I just figured I'd ask you guys before I started emailing everyone under the sun. I'm hoping one of you guys would have an easy answer for me, especially on the binding color thing.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    thats why i thought on a luthier, you can get a real wood pickguard with binding, but i dont know whos making repairs or mods there in the US. If you where here in the EU or near i would suggest talking to Jerzy Drozd who does some repairment and settings.

5. Help anyone!

6. :help:

7. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    basspartsresource.com

And if you look at getting a custom pick guard made, AVOID Terrapin Guitars.

8. They don't have what I need

9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I know there ARE custom pickguard places out there, I just can't think of any of them off the top of my head...

BUT I'm willing to bet it that a parchment color would do nicely, as would cream. You have to remember, you are looking at pictures on the internet, and, as such, they dont always look perfect, colorwise. Also, even a double thick ply, underneath a darker ply, it will be nearly impossible to tell if it doesnt exactly match the binding perfectly. As long as you stick with some offwhite color, I'm willing to be it will look great.

10. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    What's wrong with Terrapin? I was just about to order from there.

11. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The colors and patterns on the website do not correspond with the colors that you receive. I ordered a swirly brown one for my p-bass. When I got it, it was green. Green on sunburst is bad. And green isn't even offered on the Terrapin website. The black pearloid I got for my jazz LOOKED fine, until . . .

. . . I tried to put it on. The jazz guard didn't fit at all. Neither did the one for my p-bass! Sorry, but that's ridiculous. Sent them back, got a refund. Don't get a pickguard from Terrapin.