Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom pickguards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by zeronyne, Feb 13, 2006.

1. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I was looking at the Hello Kitty Strat, and inspiration struck. Before I act on it, however, I have a question for you learned luthiers.

If I had two pieces of pickguard material that I wanted to join, what type of glue would be best? I imagine that I'd cut the material at an angle and the second material at the reverse angle to maximize surface area for the glue. I'm talking about the basic 3 ply material, not nitro or bakelite.

Thanks!

Oh, and would a scroll saw do the trick for intricate work? I've never really cut plastic before.

2. lola99

lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    Is there a place where you can get pickguard material cheap? Well, relatively cheap?

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I don't know how successful joining two pieces would be. I suppose that since there is really no stress on it once mounted, it would be structurally okay, but that joint would be hard to make look good without a fair bit of practice.

The problem you will have will be joining two pieces, at anything other than a perfectly straight line, say a curved cut. A scroll saw will cut curves, but not all models allow the table to tilt, most don't IIRC. A bandsaw will make flat cuts easily as well. For a straight cut while using a scarf joint to join two pieces, my choice would be to run it through a table saw on a sled.

Perhaps a bit more info on your project, someone can give a better answer, cheers.