custom pickguards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by zeronyne, Feb 13, 2006.

1. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    I was looking at the Hello Kitty Strat, and inspiration struck. Before I act on it, however, I have a question for you learned luthiers.

If I had two pieces of pickguard material that I wanted to join, what type of glue would be best? I imagine that I'd cut the material at an angle and the second material at the reverse angle to maximize surface area for the glue. I'm talking about the basic 3 ply material, not nitro or bakelite.

Oh, and would a scroll saw do the trick for intricate work? I've never really cut plastic before.
  2. lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    Is there a place where you can get pickguard material cheap? Well, relatively cheap?
  3. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I don't know how successful joining two pieces would be. I suppose that since there is really no stress on it once mounted, it would be structurally okay, but that joint would be hard to make look good without a fair bit of practice.

The problem you will have will be joining two pieces, at anything other than a perfectly straight line, say a curved cut. A scroll saw will cut curves, but not all models allow the table to tilt, most don't IIRC. A bandsaw will make flat cuts easily as well. For a straight cut while using a scarf joint to join two pieces, my choice would be to run it through a table saw on a sled.

Perhaps a bit more info on your project, someone can give a better answer, cheers.