Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom pickup builders.. sources of magnet wire?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by patrickj, Feb 16, 2003.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Anyone have any url's of companys that sell magnet wire? (42 awg, etc)

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey patrickj, don't know if you've ever been to the pickup maker's forum from AMPAGE or not, but I'd bet you could find an answer there fairly quickly... Searchable, with some manufacturer's links and other resources. Good luck!

-robert

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    No, hadn't seen that.. nice! Thanks!

4. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    There's two that I know of right off - MWS - http://www.mwswire.com and Essex - http://www.essexwire.com.
    I just got some 43 plain enamel from MWS. They have a 5 pound minimum and it's around $25 a pound. I have heard essex will sell less and is thus more affordable. I will have to give them a try soon.

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I should have been more descript.. 1-2lbs, sells to an individual, etc..

sorry :bassist: :meh:

6. Here's a link I just found -

www.lollarguitars.com

He's a custom winder, with a book about the subject. has some parts and some links to suppliers too.

Basstrader

7. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Bump

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I'd heard pup wire was relatively expensive but had never seen a figure on it. 5 lbs ought to wire 20 pups or so I guess?

9. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    5 pounds will probably do more like 40-50 coils, but it can depend greatly on the size of the coil and the number of winds.

10. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I ordered some from stew-mac a few days ago. I just wanted to do some comparison shopping if I could. Thanks for your replys. If all goes well I'll come back with sound clips and pics