1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Pickup Coil Split Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chinjazz, Feb 12, 2015.

1. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Hi Folks,

After building / assembling my first bass, I found that the pickups and route wasn't exactly
    what I was looking for. I'm more of a Jazz bass guy, hence my TalkBass nick name.
    Having routed the bridge pick up location I needed to devise a plan to get a single coil pick up in that place (hidden or what have you)... With the help of the guys at Nordstrand, I came up with the right combo, and will be ordering the pickups today!

It'll be a pair of pickups NJ5 Bridge/Neck under a MM casing (exposed). And a neck NJ5F.

I'd like to "coil split" or tap the two pickups in the MM so that I can switch between the two, and possibly also have them both on, with the Neck pickup on. I found a Wiring diagram for a 3 Humbucker Les Paul here which seems to fit my need:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHHH3T2201/WDU-HHH3T22-01.html

Look correct, or does anyone have any better ideas?

Currently I've got pots and the bass wired as a standard passive jazz.

Also which might be the best or good 3 way switch I should get?

Thanks for your thoughts/feedback ahead of time!

Bass Pic:
    Sideways_MM_PU_Locations_zpshgnbxxks.jpg

2. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Or........ Just add a third volume knob and control each that way?....

3. Firstly, splitting and tapping are entirely different things. You are trying to split.

That setup does not sound practical to me. Perhaps a better choice would be two volumes and a series/single coil/parallel switch. Having volume controls for each coil limits you to parallel wiring, and tends not to be very useful. Your main settings are going to be the soloed bridge pickup, and a mix of one coil and the the neck pickup.

4. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Thanks for clarifying the tap vs split.
    I'm lacking in the terminology dept.

You are most definitely one of the most helpful people regarding wiring schematics and practical advice. Thanks for this!

I like your idea, I'd like to give it a try but do need some guidance, or diagram. I've done mostly Jazz and Pbass setups and of course those are simple.

Which series/single coil/parallel switch do you recommend?

Thanks so much!!!!

5. There is only one way to do it. You need a DPDT On/On/On switch.

You have a choice in which coil to split to. Choose the coil that is RWRP from the neck pickup.

6. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    So just to confirm. With the series/single coil/parallel switch I would end up with the following combinations?

Series switch on = dual single coil bridge in series + neck pu
    Single coil switch on = rear single pu + neck pu
    Parallel switch on = dual single coil bridge in parallel + neck pu.

When you say Choose the coil that is RWRP from the neck pickup..
    Do you mean always include the neck pickup in signal? Sounds logical.

I'll search on TB for others that have wired up series/single coil/parallel with a DPDT on/on/on.

Thanks

7. The switching is unrelated to what you do with the neck pickup's signal. You can solo the bridge pickup, or you can mix the pickups.

You want a RWRP pair of coils so that when you mix the neck pickup with a single coil, you will be able to humcancel.

8. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL

Gotcha. The pickups in the MM will be a Bridge NJ5 and a Neck NJ5, and in the neck route there will be a NJ5 neck pu so I believe the hum cancelling will be in order.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  9. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    I found what I needed on GuitarElectronics.com

It's basically the bridge section of this diagram (but going out to a volume pot instead of the pick up selector illustrated).

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pr...ggle-Switch1-VolumeSeries-Split-Parallel.html

Took me a bit because of catching up on terminology and understanding electronics vocabulary....

Anyone have any recommendations on good quality DPDTs? I see them at BestBassGear, Stewmac, Allparts..

Thanks!

10. chinjazz

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021