Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Pickup Configuration Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Feb 26, 2006.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Ok so after many months of playing around on a bunch of different basses, especially my new jazz bass, I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that my Modulus Flea 4 bass really is a bland sounding bass. Now I don't necessarily mean bland in a bad way, but it's very crisp, very clean, with hardly any bottom end. Now I know that Modulus has a J/J setup on some Flea's, but what about putting a J pickup with my Lane Poor humbucker? Kind of like a Lakland style is what I'm getting at. I know it's possible, I mean let's face it, anything is possible. But is this really the solution to my "low end problem"? I was thinking about adding a Bart, Nord, or even a Lane Poor if I could find it (doubt it though). And of course I would be adding it as a neck position pickup. Then I would need a new preamp with a pickup blend added to the EQ. But after all this... what do you guys think it will sound like? And are there any flaws to my unrefined, yet simple plans?

Any and all comments are more than welcome, or any new ideas you might have for me. I love this bass and I could never justify selling it... maybe just making it better! :D

2. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    BUMP for some much needed advice

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Adding a single coil would not be my solution for lack of bottom end and too much "clean and crisp."

You may get a little more round tone out with a PU forward at the neck, but for the most part, I think you'll end up with more of the same.

I have Bart j PUs in my Genesis fretless 5. They have nowhere near the lowend of the Bart Soapbars in my Q5.

If you do replace the preamp, I suggest one with a mid control, preferable sweeping. That would add a little color to the sound for sure.