Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Pickup Covers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by C-5KO, Jun 24, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm looking for somebody to make custom pickup covers for me.

They would be replacements for bartolini 6 string humbuckers (the thin soapbars). I have the model number (just not handy).

I am considering going with Carey for custom wound pickups, but we can't use my old bartolini covers.

Any suggestions? I would like to keep it fairly reasonable as the pickups alone are probably going to be $350+.

2. Are they G6s?

3. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    got the model number from an old PM i sent:

96X66J1-B

that what it written on the back.

i'm not sure what the 96 stands for, but i believe that the x6 is the shape of the pup, and the next 6 is for "6 string" and J1-B, Jazz - Bridge pos.

Hope that help?

4. IIRC, Bartolini might use B to mean Bass and T to mean Treble. I seem to recall this from my G67 pickups.

So Carey is building a pickups to fit in the same route as these pickups?

IME, Carey's prices for custom stuff are very reasonable.

5. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Possible. I didn't pull out the other pickup to see if it had a different # on it, but if you need it I can.

Carey and I were discussing my different options. I was going to give him the go ahead, except he emailed me back saying that he couldn't use my old covers because barts are sealed inside.

so the other option was to find somebody to make wood covers (heck or even plastic ones!), or possibly for me to contact bartolini and see if they would sell me empty covers.

as it stands, i've just received some extra funding so believe i could pull this off with custom covers. i'm back in the gas for his pups.

6. maybe i missed someting, but why dont you just have carey do them? if you send him the deminsions im sure he could pull it off(and probably a lot better than most people)

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    96 = 96mm aperature (B-C spacing)
    X6 = casing
    6 = #strings
    J1 = voicing/magnet structure
    B = bridge

Carey's NJ4SE pickups fit into a wood casing that is X5-sized. Make certain that you can get his six string pickup into an X6 sized casing. If you send him dimensions of the X6 I'm sure he can tell you.

Unfortunately, Carey doesn't seem to have time to make wood casings for retail (or OEM) pickups. Of course, he would have the final word on this and it does not hurt to ask. I wonder if Roger at THG or Larry Davis at Gallery are offering this service.

8. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I don't know if this got resolved or not, probably did considering the date.

However, I wonder the same thing. I would like to get a custom pickup cover for my upcoming Bongo. Where could I get it or get it done?

9. you could do it yourself, or im sure you could get covers made by nordstrand or really any other place that does custom pickups

10. Noaita

Noaita

Jun 6, 2003
    Shameless booster guy.
    THG will do them! Many covers are made by THG for aftermarket Nordy pups.