1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

custom Pickup makers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Robin Ruscio, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    I've got a vision for something and can't quite find it from any makers. It would be a 5 string neck pup that has single coil J sound towards the neck, and below it, towards the bridge, a side-by-side split coil wired for P specs right next to to it in as close to the traditional P place as possible. The two would never operate together- one would go on and the other off with a switch. Perhaps it could all be housed in a massive single case.

My luth used to make custom pups and thought my idea might not be to crazy and give me what I want. He suggested Lindy Frailin might be able to do something, but I don't see anything about customs on their site.

Do they or anyone else do custom builds? Or is there someone who has done something like this elsewhere? I like nordstrands, the dual coil Duncan's in my Fodera, and my Sadowsky singles to give you an idea of makers that I are in my tone dept.

2. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    check this pic out. something like this?

Attached Files:

3. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    Along those lines, yes! Looks like two or three coils together , maybe that can go off/on.

What's the story on that? I'm sure it's got something to do with the octave strings more than what I'm going for.

4. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    actually, it's the closest picture i had. i use that pickup on five basses. has nothing to do with the high strings

the basic idea is six coils: four p-bass, two j-bass. controlled by a five-position rotary and three-position toggle to get different combinations.

i also have some four-coil pickups that are similar. controlled by a three-position rotary and three-position toggle.

pm me and we can discuss.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I think bassculture will make pretty much anything you ask for.
    Häussel might do it too.

6. GMSweet

GMSweet

Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Just a thought, but Nordstrand makes custom pickups. Since you already like the tone, try contacting Carey.

7. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    Thanks for the info guys! Sounds like someone will be willing to do this.

8. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I know for a fact that Lindy Fralin does do a certain degree of custom work. On his regular P and J pickups, you can get them under or overwound to your spec and I have had him make J pickups for me with the A and D pole pieces raised to my specifications to match up with the neck radius of the intended bass. Give him a jingle ... it's worth a shot.

9. Robin Ruscio

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    Yeah, I better chat with Lindy, Carey, and David at SGD. Davis shot me a quick PM saying this should be fairly simple.

I'd like to know that this is doable and how good the results might be from a few heavy hitters in the field. I don't mind springing for custom PUPs but considering this will take some routing, I need to be sure that I will like the results.

I was thinking of putting this in an NYC Sadowsky to make a super versatile, lightweight, high quality gig bass that can do improved Fender-like P and J tones for some of the variety and cover bands I play in.