1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom pickup winding?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pacman, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    So this might have been covered, but I can't find it. To be honest, I'd never really thought about it before.

Does anyone know of a company that custom winds pickups? By that I mean not just shape/application, but desired characteristics as well. (more lows/more present mids/less highs/etc, etc)

This would be a for a 6 string application, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help...

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    lots of pickup winders do this for sure, some of whom are regular contributors here at TB and will hopefully chime in. Here are a few off the top of my head:

1. Bartolini
    2. Aero
    3. Nordstrand
    4. SGD
    5. Delano

3. Kent Armstrong does this. Haven't dealt with him personally but I have his pickups in my Chris Larkin custom. He's custom wound lots me pickups for Chris including a pair of V shaped P90s for a flying V bass. I've also heard of Kent rewinding existing pickups to give different sounds. Give Chris a PM and he could probably put you in contact with him.

4. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    I don't want to get in any trouble with you, Pacman, for recommending someone that I've got an endorsement deal with . . . but MJ and Seymour (at Seymour Duncan/Basslines) both regularly do "custom" work . . .

I didn't really want to push it, but it IS true . . .

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    deaf pea - do you have a contact for either of them?

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Don't forget Jason Lollar.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There's also Pete Biltoft. I think his company is called Vintage Vibe and he's in Oregon. He wound me a great replacement pickup for my 54 style single coil P bass. I told him the sound I wanted and what strings I used, he made a few suggestions and we settled on a final design and I had the pickup in a week at a reasonable cost. I'm very pleased with the end result.