SOLD Custom Prat 5 String - Modern and Sexy!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by swpyne, Jul 27, 2016.

1. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Price:
    $1200.00
    Strings:
    Many of you have probably seen this beautiful bass in the classifieds recently. It's a custom built 5 string by Oscar Prat. This is a very sexy bass that I recently acquired partly to see if I could still manage to comfortably play basses with 19mm string spacing. Unfortunately after giving this one a serious try I have concluded that I need narrower spacing. All my other basses have 18mm spacing and apparently that's where I need to be, now that my hands are getting older.

Here's a link to the previous owners for sale thread:

SOLD - Prat 5-string Bass*Major Price Drop $1200.00 Shipped ConUS*

This bass is absolutely gorgeous in person. The build quality and attention to detail is stunning. It has an amazing Noll active 4 band preamp that can give you all kinds of tonal options. The controls are Stacked Master Volume/Master Tone, Pickup Blend, Stacked High Mid/Low Mid and Stacked Treble/Bass. The pickups are Nordstrand dual coil hum canceling and they are dead silent.

The bass is a very comfortable to hold on a strap weighing in at only 9 pounds 2 ounces on my digital scale. The dark wenge fingerboard sports beautiful MOP block inlay and the hardware is all a very classy and understated matte black.

There are no issues with this bass. The truss rod works fine and the action is extremely low. No fret wear to speak of and the only defect I can find on it anywhere is a minor bump on the back edge of the body underneath where your arm rests while in playing position. I tried to photograph it but is very hard to capture.

Prat basses are no doubt going to increase in value as he's absolutely on par with other well known boutique builders. Don't let the fact that I'm offering this back up so soon after getting it give you the impression that it's a lemon. It's not at all, it's just not right for me!

I am offering it back up for what I paid for it which is, and was, a total and complete steal for a custom bass of this quality. Those of you who know me and have done business with me in the past will testify that I "tell it like it is" and I guarantee that if you like 19mm spacing, this bass is real contender for your play time. I believe I have bought and sold more basses than anyone else on TalkBass so you can buy with confidence.

This is truly an amazing bass that's worth at least twice the price.

$1,200.00 plus actual FedEx Ground Shipping.

It will ship in a used but fully functional gig bag!

IMG_2397.jpg IMG_2385.jpg IMG_2388.jpg IMG_2389.jpg IMG_2390.jpg IMG_2391.jpg IMG_2392.jpg IMG_2394.jpg IMG_2395.jpg IMG_2396.jpg IMG_2398.jpg IMG_2399.jpg IMG_2401.jpg IMG_2402.jpg IMG_2403.jpg IMG_2404.jpg IMG_2405.jpg IMG_2406.jpg IMG_2407.jpg

campbems and funk7856 like this.
  2. lucasfgonzalez

lucasfgonzalez

Jul 4, 2013
    it features a Hipshot A Style bridge, so you can get strings closer to reach ( depending on factory specs ) maybe 18.3 mm or less

3. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Thanks for your comment but I'm fully aware of the adjustability of the Hipshot bridge. Because the bass and specifically the neck was built for 19mm spacing, even with the bridge adjusted to it's tightest spacing, the fingerboard is still a bit too wide for my left hand to be comfortable. Again, that's the "only" reason that I'm offering this bass back up for sale. Every other thing about it is totally killer.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  4. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    Any sound clips? Especially slap? Fingerstyle it probably has a really barky midrange, but I'm curious as to if it can get that classic "Marcus-esque" j slap tone.

5. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Sorry, no sound clips and I'm not much of a "slapper" so it probably wouldn't help you much even if I tried. I will say the Noll preamp is about as versatile as I've ever heard. To me it sounds a lot like the Pope 4 band that Fodera uses. Really broad tonal options that enable you to dial in very specific frequency enhanced settings.

6. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    I have a Noll in my Marco and love it! Admittedly, alot of the slap tone has to do with pickup and pickup placement. But still think certain neck woods yield a difference in tone only really noticeable when slapping. That being said...this bass has got me thinking about selling some basses...

7. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    It's an incredibly nice bass for the price. Truly a "steal". If you played it I'm sure you would agree.....

8. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Akron
    I'm sure I would! ;-)

9. lucasfgonzalez

lucasfgonzalez

Jul 4, 2013
    Have no doubt I myself play a Prat Classic 6 , very similar o yours, they are wonderful in every way.

10. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Thanks for chiming in Lucas, most appreciated!

lucasfgonzalez likes this.
  11. swpyne

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Deal in the works pending receipt of funds.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022