Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Who would make a custom Preamp? Being a tech geek, and basing what I would want on other Pres, I have something for a Preamp I would want in a later bass of mine. Who would do this and how much would it cost?

2. Depends on how "custom" you want it. East Preamps seem to be pretty versatile compared to most.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Get an engineer friend to do it. Depending on what features you want, it could get expensive fast if you're being charged by the hour.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Yup.

What features and specs do you have in mind for it?

5. I know Bartolini has something similar, but not quite it:

Pickup Selector
    Bass Control
    Treble Control
    Tone Control (push/pull feature shifting the EQ center between 250Hz and 800Hz)
    Volume Control (push/pull feature to switch between active and passive)
    Adjustable 9-volt/18-volt battery control (done by removing a jumper in the control cavity and adding another 9 volt battery)

Anyone know of a Preamp with those specs? If not how much do you think it may cost to get one made?

6. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    A blend knob or a switch or what? What switching options do you want? What do you have for pickups? 2 soaps?

Do you mean a midrange control?

Depending on the topology, it could be as simple as just adding a second battery, no jumper.

Drawing it up would take maybe half an hour. Building it: several hours. Tweaking everything to make sure it's exactly right... sky's the limit.

A better idea would be to modify an existing preamp to suit your needs. What you've asked for is really quite simple, but would probably still cost a lot if you got a pro to do it for you. You might look into building your own, or, like I said before, find a friend looking for a project.

7. To answer those:
    Yes, midrange control is what I was referring to in that. A switch control or a blend, dosent matter to me, preferribly a blend, just for fine tweaking between the two. Yes, two soapbar pickups. And as far as the battery is concerned, just how I wanted to put it.

8. The Aguilar OBP-3 can be switched between 250 and 800. It can be run at 9 or 18 volts.

The pickup selector and blend are generally not considered to be part of the preamp, since they are on passive basses also. There is plenty of info on this site and other places as to how to wire the selector and the push/pull switches.

Here's a link to the Aguilar wiring diagrams. Check #7 on the last page.

http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/support_wiring_obp3.pdf