1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Precision Build - I could use help and advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianbrave, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Not sure If I've made any mistakes so far - so let me tell you where I'm currently at.

I purchased a P bass MIM Maple Neck with tuners here on TB - Like new, straight and great shape.
    I already have a new OEM Fender bridge taken from my 75' reissue FSR Jazz base that I installed a Babicz on.

I'm not trying to build a bass that would pass as Fender assembled, I just had bad luck buying a used P bass body on eBay (that turned out not to be a MIM or even a Fender body as advertised) Luckily I was able to return it for a full refund.

So today I purchased the following items from Music 123 (I get near 50% inter-industry discount so what the heck)

Fender Original Replacement parts:
    MIM P Bass Body - Alder
    62' P bass pickup
    62' P Bass pick guard, white (13 hole) with holes for thumb rest and pickup cover
    Rotosound RS66LD Strings

Right now my build cost is around $360.00 and I still need a back plate, thumb rest, bridge and pickup covers.

I'm not sure which backplate would be correct. I see blank ones and Fender "F" ones (for Jazz bass I think)

Will they both fit my body and neck?

Also does the ash tray and/or pickup cover add value to the bass or get in the way of finger style play?

I see some new P basses that come direct from Fender with them and most don't.

I just think they really "look cool" but I'm just not sure of their functionality or interference and I don't want to drill holes that I'll regret later.

Any insight from experienced P bass players/users/builders would be great.

Thanks in advance!!!

***EDIT***

Wanted to add that I have boatloads of Pots, Jacks and caps - so if you could recommend some that would work best... I would thank you....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I've built a few FrankenFenders myself and I think I can answer some of your questions. Just about all of the four hole back plates will fit your fender. I think the "F" ones look pretty cool. The ash tray and pickup covers do not necessarily add value, but they sometimes look nice and dress the bass up a bit. I personally like the bridge covers on some of my basses, but I hate the pickup covers because for me, they get in the way. I like to play over the pickups. I've installed them on a few of my basses, took pictures and them took them off. To each their own. You might be able to install them with some sort of two-sided tape to try them out first.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    My vote is against the covers unless you are specifically going for a vintage look. Since you ask the question I think the answer is no. Personally they're not my thing even on vintage basses. Save the money. They're by no means a necessity.

4. Depends on what kind of vibe you're planning to do, but the F-stamped plate was used from 1965 onwards (with the serial number stamped in it until 1975), before that, it was a blank neckplate (also with the serial). As long as it is a normal 4-bolt neckplate, it should fit.

Covers & thumbrest is personal. They get in the way when you want to slap & palmmute, and they do limit the positions of the right hand, but I swear by them, as they give my some nice support for my right hand when needed, and they don't hamper my technique at all. I have fitted a piece of foam underneath my bridgecover, that tames the sustain & overtones, for a nice thuddy & wooly sound.

For the pots, try to go with logartithmic CTS-pots from 250K, with a capacitor (preferably paper-in-oil (like an Orange Drop) or paper-in-wax) from 0.01µF or 0.0047µF. The former give a bigger traverse in the tonepot, making the sound REALLY dark when rolled back, the latter keeps some transparancy.

5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    my Cv 60P upgrade parts.

fender Pure vintage 63's pickup
    Orange Drop .068uf 225P (if prefer darker sound) or .047uf 225P (live between old school and modern)
    Labella DTB 760FL or Fender 9050L
    Chrome pickup cover & Bridge cover

My other upgrade part order is on the way.
    2 Fender CTS A250K pot
    Pair Fender Pbass knob
    Two Rolls Black and white cloth wire
    Mint Green Pickguard
    pure vintage 58/63 pickup cover(more square corner)

and my project name is "Squier Custom Store Old School 63's Ri Precision Bass":smug:

6. Thanks Guys... I'm looking for a darker, deeper tone from this bass. I have plenty of other basses and what I want from this P bass build is an old school, locomotive driving rhythm. Mostly finger style.....