1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom Project Questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Apr 7, 2006.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I'm going to start my custom project finally. The body is alder and the neck is a five piece bubinga/wenge. I have two precut pickup spots which are reserved for soapbars. I'm looking to go active with this bass and need help finding the right pickups and preamp.

This bass is a 4 string.

The dimensions need to be:
    4 1/4 (4.25) x 1 5/8 (1.62)

I have 4 knob holes precut in a diamond shape.

The sound I'm going for is a very warm, "woody" sound to compliment the stained natural finish on the bass. I'm not too concerned about a midrange growl, but a crisp high end needs to be present. You could say I'm almost going for more of a "boomy" low end, something to mix everything together.

Thanks
    Andy

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

I guessing the Bass or luthiers forum may have gotten you an answer more along the lines of what you're expecting.

I'd say you'll know what the acoustic properties of the bass will be when it's done. Once you know that, you can choose bass variables (like pups) based on the direction you need to go from there - ones that meet construction of the bass anyway.

Every other variable in the tone chain outside the bass will factor in as well.