1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom Rack Mount for Magellan 800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SteveHeissner, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Has anyone purchased or built a custom 2U rack mount for the Magellan 800 bass head? I'm not talking about a standard rack shelf, but either rack ears or a rack shelf with a custom face plate built for the amp. Something like this...

upload_2016-12-1_9-40-46.

I wonder if these guys would build it? Penn Elcom - Rack Shelves

murphy likes this.
  2. Alright then... Jeff Genzler just answered the question as follows. Thanks for the quick response, Mr. Genzler.

"HI Steve, Yes we do recommend a Penn Elcom adjustable Rack shelve which would provide the same type of rack shelf function you had with the Streamliner rack kit. If you'd like more assistance, reach out to me at jeff@genzleramps.com and I can assist. Thanks for your interest in our Magellan 800. Regards, Jeff"

Jeff Genzler likes this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Middle Atlantic Products will build a custom rackshelf/faceplate for anything. You can either submit a bunch of critical dimensions via their custom RSH request form, or you can send your gizmo to them so they can take measurements and template the faceplate. ~Two weeks later you get a solid piece of kit that looks good and lasts forever.

SteveHeissner likes this.
  4. Here's one simple solution. Penn Elcom could supply a rack shelf with securing clamps but it would be 3U. I needed it to fit in 2U. Solution?

- Get a 2U rack shelf with vented holes on the bottom.
    - Remove the feet from the Magellan 800 using a Phillips screwdriver.
    - Reattach the feet back to the amp through the vent holes in the rack shelf bottom.

Tools required? One Phillips screwdriver and a drill to slightly enlarge two of the vent holes. Next I'll look into getting a magnetic face plate for the front. Plenty of storage space in the back of the rack for cables and an extension chord. And it helps protect the amp. These are some of the benefits of rack mounting small class D heads.
    upload_2017-3-31_7-26-15.
    upload_2017-3-31_7-26-46.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    S-Bigbottom and lomo like this.
  5. Here's what it looks like now with the custom Penn Elcom face plate: a rack mounted Genzler Magellan 800.

upload_2017-7-28_7-51-10.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    sigterm, Jeff Genzler and S-Bigbottom like this.
  6. The drawing I gave Penn Elcom to do the work.

upload_2017-7-28_7-58-36.

S-Bigbottom likes this.