1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom Ramp for mim j

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderx55, Apr 18, 2006.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Does anyone know where I could get a ramp made for my MIM J? would it be easy enough to build one myself and paint it midnight wine?

thanks,
    Chris

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    A small piece of boxwood should be easy to find. Just measure it carefully, cut to fit, then finish it out. If you can match it to your bass' color, so much the better. If not, paint it black...

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    how would you affix it to the bass? (And what teh hell is boxwood?)

4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    After you make the ramp (and before you paint it), try test fitting it on the bass with some double-sided tape. It'll give you a chance to move it around and stuff, but it's secure enough that it'll withstand some solid testing.

Boxwood?

http://www.boxwoodsociety.org

5. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    sry to hop on the thread but...
    -what is a ramp for?
    -where can't i find one?
    -is it worth it?

sry again (i guess i am still a noob)

6. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    A ramp fits in between your pickups (they're usually on basses with two pups), thereby eliminating the space between the strings and the body. People who swear by them say it improves their fingersyle speed and dexterity...plus it looks kinda cool if you do it right.

Ramps aren't really sold for standard basses. Some luthiers will make them custom for their basses, but a lot of people just make their own.

Worth it? Find out and get back to us:p

7. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Kinda off topic but better than making a new thread.
    has anyone ever made a ramp for a P/J style bass?
    Any pics?
    thinking about making one for my ibby

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Brian Emmel had a P/J with a ramp, but I couldn't find a pic. You'd basically have to make it a solid rectangle then cut out the section the lower P would go into....just a bit of jigsaw maneuvering.

Don't forget to radius the top of your ramp to match the radius of your fingerboard!!!

And you'd probably have better luck staining an absorbant piece of wood for a ramp than painting it- I attempted to paint one of mine once, and the roundwound strings flaked it off pretty quickly.

9. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I've just received the very first (so he tells me) ramp ever made by Pete Skjold for a Jazz Bass design. I'm gonna try it out in the next few days, but I'm cautiously optimistic. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it looks great (solid ebony) and you do get what you pay for after all.

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005