1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

custom "road worn"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by swankfrank6, Mar 22, 2009.

1. swankfrank6

swankfrank6

Feb 5, 2008
    im not really sure if this is there area to post this... but here goes..

i got the squire "Jaco Pastorius" remake bass awhile ago, (just to get some practice on a fretless) and i was wondering what i could do to it to give it a more Jaco look.

i was just thinking taking sandpaper to it in areas.. but i was wondering if anyone knows how fender does their road worn guitars..

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It's a technique called Relicing.

As far as HOW to do it, I couldn't help you. It'd be better in Luthier's Corner, so I'm gonna drop you over there.

Moved. :)

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    :bag:...drop it down a staircase.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Personally, I'd be using steel wool instead. Although, it should be noted that amateur relic jobs almost never come out looking anything but horrid and sickening. You might do yourself a favor by just foregoing the relic thing, or getting it done professionally. It'd be a shame to turn a nice bass like that J into something you don't want to play because of a failed experiment in relicing.

But, it's your choice. The words of wisdom from all of the cats I've known who have done it: Less is more. Don't overdo. Make everything subtle. Know when to stop. Do your research - look up lots of pictures.

If it helps, I have oodles of pictures of relics, both artificial jobs and natural ones, that I'd be happy to email you, if you're interested.

5. swankfrank6

swankfrank6

Feb 5, 2008
    yeah
    i have a pretty bad habit of custom jobs going bad...
    but some things like my custom cedar pedal board turn out amazing

the other day i was in a guitar center and they had some of the road worn guitars there..
    they look really cool. i didnt get the chance to play one, but they do a really good job on them

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    ibanezcollector put together a massive tutorial on relicing a while back. Link is here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319325

Edit, darn link is broken, you should still be able to find it by searching for ibanezcollector or checking the how to section at the top of this forum...