Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Roscoe Options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowfreqman, Feb 23, 2006.

1. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I will be ordering a custom fretted Roscoe SKB 3005 soon. I am interested in hearing what options are favored from past and present Roscoe owners.

Scott

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

I'm really partial to the kitchen sink option and the combination bottle opener/nose hair trimmer option.

:ninja:

;)

(Seriously, if you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail or PM me, anytime! :) )

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What kind of tone are you looking for?

5. d sage

d sage

May 16, 2005
    Cincinnati
    At minimum I would get a 3 band EQ. I have a LG 4 string and an SKB 5er, both with Bart 3 band EQs. I love the sound! There have been suggestions for Aquilar and Demeter electronics but it gets back to Figjam's point of what tone you want. One observation, my SKB is a bit heavy with the large body. I have a large body to go with it so it's not a major issue.

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Demeter option, IMO, is certainly the way to go.

7. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I prefer the large body of the SKB - as it hides more of my own large body ;) (it "fits" better).

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Order it with 19mm string spacing at the bridge, and then sell it to me used in new condition :)

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm into the organic options like the Quilted-curly-burly Cocobolo-Bubinga-Spaulted Myrtle-Maple top, the body with the center Mahogany/ top horn Spanish Cedar/ bottom horn Swamp Ash and an Alder backed body with highlighted grain-- whole grain.

You've got to try the new alternating neck woods that run perpendicular to the length of the neck(each about an inch thick): Maple/ Purpleheart/ Wenge/ Ebony/ Maple/ Purpleheart... Then you've got to have the Diamondwood Hummingbirdseye Maple fret board. Instead of the birdseyes being part of the Maple's grain, they actually add Hummingbird's eyes. It's pretty expensive upgrade, but the bass is always looking at you-- even if you're getting a drink at the bar on the other side of the establishment.

Oh! and the nut! You have to upgrade it to the elephant killing fields Ivory nut. Who needs to save the elephants? They're too big any way.

The only mechanical option I get passionate about is the elevator neck joint. Instead of removing the neck and putting a piece of sandpaper in the butt, you crank up the neck to your desired height. Instant setup!

Like I should be making fun of choosing options on a boutique bass. I've had about a half dozen e-mails and phone calls to Gard about my next Roscoe and I haven't even ordered it yet. I am what I make fun of.:oops:

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've been looking at the Century body style and thinking that it might have the best balance of the three body styles that Roscoe offers.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    As a Century Signature owner, and having a LOT of experience with the SKB and LG bodies (which I like a LOT), yes, you would be correct about the balance. :) My Century, while HEAVY, is completely a joy to play on a strap or in my lap, even with the wenge neck, no headstock dive at all.