1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom saddles?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sotua, Jan 25, 2012.

1. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Hi,

I just got me a used OLP MM2 (natural/tortoise/maple). And, while the playability and the tone is outstanding, there is one interesting build defect that almost made me call it off (but then I played it some more... that playability, that tone... GHAAA!):

The bridge is off-center. By about 1-2mm to the bass side. This means the 4th string is very close to the edge of the neck. It doesn't affect playability, much as I tried playing as agressively and fast as I could, I couldn't make it slip off the face of the neck so that's good. I wouldn't have bought it if the issue affected playability or tone, but at this point it's merely cosmetic.

Now, repositioning the bridge would be quite an undertaking, and I don't know if that's even possible (since the new holes would overlap with the old ones, I don't know if I want my bridge held in place by half wood and half filler). So I was thinking a possible fix for this: Custom saddles for the bridge, with the slot moved 1-2mm to the side.

What do you guys think? Feasible? Know of anyone who could do the job? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    sotua

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    (In all probability)

The bridge is fine where it is. The neck is canted in the pocket.

1. Loosen the NECK screws.*
    2. Yank on the neck in the proper direction.**
    3. Tighten the screws

*Just crack them loose. The neck should still be relatively tight in the pocket. Leave the strings at tension.

**Yank. Hard. Really. You'll figure out how hard after a couple of tries at not enough.

3. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    You mean the 4 screws that hold the neck in place? :O

Interesting! Will give it a shot.