1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom semi-hollow basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taxxorrak, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Taxxorrak

Taxxorrak

Feb 7, 2009
    Norway.
    Hello, all!

I'm looking for a high class custom bass builder that would be able to make basses along the lines of such designs made by Steve Swallows basses, both the Parker and the Citron. Basically I'm just looking for a new, modern take on a semi-hollow bass. If anyone know about any luthiers (that deals in Europe, aswell) that would be great, thank you! :)

2. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I guess by semi-hollow you are referring to basses built using "traditional" methods, with back, sides and front. In which case I don't really know... but I have a heavily chambered bass from Tom Clement, which is pictured on my avatar over here on the left. :)
    There's a page on his web site that explains how the bass is built. It's basically a body core that is heavily chambered. It has a pretty "acoustic" feel to it, very light weight and the piezo gives a very good sound from it.

Alternatively there is the Jerzy Drozd Barcelona bass, which is the signature bass for Carles Benavent. It's considerably more expenssive than the Clement.

Benavente basses also has a chambered/hollowish bass in their product range... as does Conklin, and quite a few others. :)

3. Cliff Bordwell builds a bass with parallel sound chambers, as seen in the picture below, which seems to be quite a new and modern take on semi-hollow designs, though nothing like that of the Citron and Parker guitars.

pcb-041226cs.

All the suggestions above are great, but I just wanted to say that I love the look of those Barcelona basses. Unique. :)