1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Shop '60s, Fralins and Lawrences

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassUli, Feb 26, 2013.

1. BassUli

BassUli

Dec 5, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I used the search engine and I didn't find an answer for my question. If you could help, I'd really appreciate it.

I've bought a MIA Precision Bass last year and it has Fender's Custom Shop '60s pickups. To be honest, that is my first American Fender and, most important, my first P-Bass. :hyper: I used to play a fretless Jazz Bass (I still do, sometimes... I've become a P-Bass guy).

Concerning the sound, I think that's great. However I don't have means to compare it due to my lack of experience regarding the sonic features of P-Basses and its different kinds of pickups. What I really mean is: I like the sound of my P-Bass, but could I like "more" if it had other pickup set?

I've been reading here good reviews of Fralins and Wilde Bill Lawrence. So, if I had to replace the stock pickups, I would get one of these.

What do you guys think about it? Should I try something new or should I stick to the original?

Thanks for any inputs!

2. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm a big, big fan of Lindy Fralin's p'ups. That said, I would leave your bass stock. Fender's custom shop p'ups are very good and I doubt there'd be a noticeable improvement by changing them, unless you're actually looking to change the character of the bass' sound.

3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I agree with Lo-E. Those Custom shop pickups are pretty much exactly what you want. The Lawrence and Fralins are great but The Fender are fine pickups. I heard they might know something about making p bass pickups too... :bag:

4. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Nm

5. BassUli

BassUli

Dec 5, 2011
    Yes, I've been told they've been doing it for more than 60 years... :)

-------

I played a friend's P-Bass yesterday. He doesn't know its model. I'm no expert, but I observed it and I think it's a MIM Classic '50s, although it doesn't have the anodized gold pickguard. He said he bought it used and it has a tortoise pickguard.

He is willing to sell the bass to me, but I considered the pickups very aggressive. Is that correct? Do Fralins or Lawrence sound mellower?

6. I have the Bill Lawrence P-46 and would not consider it very aggressive. Nice tone though!

7. BassUli

BassUli

Dec 5, 2011
    Cool! I think I'll try it!

Does someone else consider the Classic '50s pickup also aggressive?

8. BassUli

BassUli

Dec 5, 2011
    Has anyone here replaced their Classic 50s pickup? Which pickup did you choose? I'm considering Fralin or Wilde Lawrence.

9. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    Try lowering the pickups a small amount. Will probably make it sound less aggressive. Search about pickup heights.