Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Shop '63 Limited Edition Jazzbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tusitala, Feb 5, 2006.

1. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    i found a beautiful Candy Apple Red Limited Edition '63 N.O.S. Fender Jazzbass, alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard...
    even if it costs so much i'm considering the crazy idea of buying it...basically i'm looking for the "jazzbass of my life"...i have a '78 fretless wich already is and i'll never sell, but (don't laugh!) i don't own a fretted bass...

...what is your advice? did any of you ever played that particular model (i don't know the year of production...maybe 2002 or 2003...)

and what is your experience on Custom Shops Jazzbasses? i read around on the forums and saw that almost everybody think they are great...

i'd really like to know what is your opinion
    thanks

-tusitala

Attached Files:

2. made in usa, custom shop?
    bass of you're life!!
    :cool:

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I haven't been able to play a CS jazz, but I've played a couple of the Ps, and they were really nice. If I could afford it (and it wasn't red, but that's just me) I'd go for it.

4. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i love the custom shop stuff...the main thing that i notice right away with jazz customs is the setup which is so much better than the american standard stuff. Its good to know the bass you are buying is capable of being setup with the strings real low and no buzzing ect.

5. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    how would you compare a custom shop jazzbass with an original vintage???

don't think about the price, just the bass itself, tone, woods, construction etc...

6. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    I own a Fender Custom Shop '64 Relic Jazz Bass and it's a fantastic bass. It really shines in a live band setting. I string it with TI Jazz Flats and I cannot say enough good things about the sound. I will never ever ever sell this bass; it's the first and only bass I've ever truly bonded with (although a '93 Stingray 5 I recently bought is nearing bonding status).

Is it better than an original? I've only played one authentic 60s-era J bass, and I think that the Relic is as good or better.

I wouldn't hestitate to buy if I were you.

7. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  8. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The Fender Custom Shop makes great instruments. Whether or not you should buy depends of course on the price. What are they asking for this one?

In my experience, used CS jazz (or precision) basses typically sell for around $1600-2000. Standard Time Machine models would fall toward the low end of the range, limited editions and Cunetto-era relics toward the high end. A true one-off teambuilt custom bass could go for $500 more, and a masterbuilt for even more.

All these prices are for an instrument in prime condition with original case and Certificate of Authenticity. That last is a big deal if you think you might ever sell the bass -- COA cannot be replaced, and CS instruments without the COA usually sell at a significant discount.

9. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    I have a bass just like that--CAR, matching headstock, but with a tort guard. It's a great instrument, and the custom color is really happening too. The post above mine is right on--although custom color stuff like this is hard to find and expensive. I also have a white 64 CS jazz that is my main bass--I'll never get rid of that one. The only way I'd let mine go would be in favor of a real old one, but that probably won't happen. (the advantages and disadvantages of that have been disscussed in this forum at length---- $2000 ish vs $6000 ish and that's just sunburst!!!) I think these custom shop basses are as close as you can get to a real 64--but I will say the Lakland JO jazzes are killer--I would love to have one of those just to see how they compare.

10. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    it's all original and is sold with the case, certificate and everything in a shop for around 3000dollars...the guy in the shop told me it's a limited edition, in fact other models are '64 replicas, not '63 as this one...this explains the fact that you can't find it on Frontline or on Fender's website...

11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Every CS instrument I have played has been great.

However, EVERY bass is different from the next one produced under the same conditions by the same people. This is also true for the early '60's instruments. You have to take them one at a time. So, it is essential to try before you buy.

If you like it, have confidence that it won't lose value; get it, and play it to death.

12. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Well, at that price you're in a gray "what-the-market-will-bear" sort of area. I don't think the '63 vs. '64 dating is a very big deal - I'm not aware of vintage '63s being notably more desirable than 64s, and I'm not even sure the specs are all that different between the two years (perhaps some Fender historians can enlighten us here). More unusual is the CAR color and the matching headstock, which do identify this as something other than a "stock" CS bass. If you've always wanted a pre-CBS CAR Fender jazz, this is about as close as you'll get at a (somewhat) reasonable price. But the pricing of the former really has nothing to do with the pricing of the latter.

I have 4 Custom Shop basses (including 1 limited edition and 2 Cunettos) listed in the TB classifieds right now -- every one priced more than $1k below that jazz. Fender Custom Shop basses are superb instruments, but IMHO this is a $2k instrument being sold for $3k. I wouldn't even consider buying it unplayed / unseen without a 24-48 hour approval period. If you love it and can see yourself keeping it for years and years, then the high price won't matter to you. But if you see a GAS attack coming on in a year or two, be aware that you'll be hard pressed to sell it for anywhere near what you paid.

13. They don't seem significantly different at all. Here are specs from the Vintage Guitars Collectors Website:

1962 Jbass specs:
    Veneer Rosewood fingerboard by August 1962.

1963 Jbass specs:
    Mutes removed by mid 1963.

1964 Jbass specs:
    Pearl fingerboard dots replace "clay" dots, late 1964.
    Tortoise plastic three layer pickguard replaces celluloid, late 1964. Note the tortoise part of the pickguard is still celluloid, but the underlying 3 W/B/W layers are no longer celluloid. This is easy to tell; the black layer is MUCH thinner, which can be seen on the beveled pickguard edge.

14. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    And frankly, if you're willing to spend that kind of money for the "jazzbass of your life," you owe it to yourself to check out one of these:

[​IMG]

15. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    yeah, 3k is a bit high--but i dig mine and have rarely seen other custom colors (saw a LPB once--could of had it, oops)--I actually have a 63p on the way (with approval period, of course)--so i can do a real shootout once and for all. Maybe if the 63p trumps all, I'll let some other stuff go.
    as far as i call tell, outside of a killer old fender, the CS is the thing to do.

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    i've had a chance to play 2 cs 64's, a friend of mine owns one. they are awesome, one of the best rosewood/alder basses you can by today. i'd love one, and its a rad colour!:) if thats the sound you like, you could keep it forever...

17. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    thanks, you are giving me important informations...
    i wanted to tell you about the price: here in italy a new '64 customshop jazz (the one that you can find on fender website even now) costs 3000 euros (3460 usa dollars) so this '63 limited edition costs a bit less...

this said i have no comparison with other cs because they are nowehere to be found here...i think this shop is the only one that has them in italy...it also has a normal '64 sunburst custom shop, so i'll have the chance to compare the two...

did you ever play an original sixties or seventies vintage??? how where them???

18. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Well, all this makes a big difference. European prices are indeed much higher than those in the U.S., so in that context the jazz you're considering may be more reasonable against the local market. And having the opportunity to compare it with a regular '64 CS will be excellent in terms of verifying that you're getting a first-rate instrument.

That said, depending on your location in Italy, you might still want to look into a Sadowsky. Roger has a dealer in Milan (as well as ones in Switzerland and southern Germany) and the Metro jazz basses are fine instruments indeed, with prices much lower than the CS you're considering.

Sadowskys in Milan

Sadowsky in Switzerland

19. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    i've seen the links you sent me about Sadowsky...i never played one but i know their "fame"...if i'll have the chance i'll try to play one...i never really loved basses of other brands than fender, but i did not try this one so i can't judge...anyway they cost more than a Fender Custom Shop, like 500dollars more...

20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I agree that in that price range, the Sadowsky has to be an option. But, aren't the Celinders the choice price-wise in Europe?