custom shop bridges?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by boomerang, Mar 8, 2002.

1. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Anyone have any experience with these bridges? Im most interested in the top 3. I am currently planning out a homemade bass, and am curious if anyone has had any experience with these, as they usually go for about 20$ on ebay. Im leaning towards the slim tail so far. OR is this a total waste of money, any other good bridge reccomendations that won't bust my wallet?? i'd love to hear it..

thanks in advance
  2. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have no experience, but I'd go with the slim tail, it looks much easier to adjust the intonation on that one than the fat tail, which seemingly doesn't have any screws for intonation, like the spector bridges.
  3. I have used the indi bridges and thru tail. That is I am using them on basses I am building. The bridges are pretty solid. Good adjustability, especially the thru tail. The finish leaves a little to be desired, but for the money they appear to be a steal. I say appear, as the 2 basses are not complete, so I don't know what is going to happen once I attach the bridges. I would go for the slim tail of those three, good adjustability and looks better than the contour tail. The spector style fat tail only has height adjustablility, so I would be wary of that on a homemade bass, as I would want the most adjustability as possible. Most basses generally have their intonation in a similar style to how that bridge is set, but some are very different. With the slim tail you will be able to intonate the bass at least.

4. I've got 2 of the slim tails - one black and one frosted chrome. Their finish and functionality are perfect. Something you can't see in the pic from the website is that the top portion of the saddle is hinged and it adjusts with the setscrews. A pretty neat system.

I'm itching to get a project going so that I can order the "Countour" bridge shown below the slim tail. That is a knock-off of the ABM. I have an original ABM and want to compare. It looks like they could stack up pretty good against them.
  5. Has anyone gotten both the slim tail and the contour tail and can compare them? I should soon be receiving a body and neck for a project, and I'm leaning towards the custom shop bridges because of their cost.

If anyone has input on either of these bridges, or better yet both of them, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    The stock bridge on a Dean Edge 5 I have is really similar looking to the Slim Tail version on that site. It's served me very well on the Dean if that helps.