1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Shop Jazz Bass Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bodhan, May 10, 2010.

1. bodhan

bodhan

Nov 19, 2002
    Brazil
    Hi all!
    I have just purchased a CS JazzBass pickup set from a 99% Ebay seller, and I need some help just to double check the product.
    I have checked the DC resistance and got 7.30K(neck) and 7.36K(bridge). Specs say 7.4K(bridge) and 7.1K (neck). It's ok to get such reading difference?
    Also specs say it's wax potted. There's a really thin wax layer, but I thought wax potted means a huge wax cover ...
    Please, someone can help me to find out if this pickups is a genuine Fender Custom Shop?
    Many thanks!

4593866139_39c5ccef13. 4593866231_1c2ff87946.
    4593866329_6fa09f5a2a. 4593866419_38cf2a3d73.
    4593866509_dd671d7b47. 4594481958_b5eb9006da.

2. What led you to believe that?

Wax potting simply means the pickup was dipped in wax to fill in all the nooks and crannies between the windings.

The resistance on the neck pickup actually does sound a bit high, considering that the bridge pickup is right where it should be.

Did you try it again to make sure you got the same reading?

3. bodhan

bodhan

Nov 19, 2002
    Brazil
    Thanks for answering line6man. Have checked and re-checked the metering. Obviously pickups were disassembled during the test. Used a digital meter. Maybe I can write to Fender and see about tolerance for these pickups.
    Do you think that, visually, this is a real CS?
    Many thanks!

4. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    The readings may vary, so I wouldn't worry so much about that.

5. Yep, DC resistance pretty much means nothing, it's just a measure of the coil's resistance to a direct current. It can even vary with temperature.

OTOH, it's odd that the two pickups would pretty much be the same. Usually the bridge pickup has more wire because it's 1/4" wider than the neck pickup, so that increases it's resistance.