1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom shop Jazz stamp flaw

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stonewall, Oct 11, 2013.

1. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    Im kind of disappointed i removed my pick guard and ashtrays thinking it would be a cool different look for my bass.What i found is that the Relic Custom Shop Logo that is stamped onto the body is only half stamped.It seems the dye wasnt level when pressed.With all the attention to details put into these Basses it bothers me my Logo blemish was missed.Is it possible im being over fussy?

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    IMO, it doesn't look nearly as bad as the empty screw holes... I will never understand people who buy a bass with a PG on, then complain about how it looks with the PG removed...

- georgestrings

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Show a pic of the bass so we can see what it looks like from a foot or so away. But, yes, you are probably worrying too much. If it is "reliced" it is not perfect anyway, right? It is supposed to look like it was gigged hard for a few decades with scratches, dents, and other wear. So this shouldn't matter IMO.

4. Totally normal. My relic'ed '07 CS '59 Precision had the exact same marking and 'faded out' around the 'IC' part of 'RELIC'...

5. Not a big deal at all, it will end up with dings after gigging heavily anyway

6. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    it's for shop use and not meant to be seen , like the old neck stamps .

7. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    I would guess it's done by hand.... I bet the rest of the Bass is awesome isn't it ?

8. 1. the stamp is relic, too. ;-)

2. the best thing on basses with removed pickguards are the holes from the srews in it...

9. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Philatelists pay big money for flawed stamps.

10. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    P town - I admit I had to look up "Philatelists"

You sir have elevated the integrity of this thread :D

11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Phil Who? :bag:

12. flynndsx

flynndsx

Oct 11, 2013
    I would guess it's done by hand[​IMG]

13. I was probably more disappointed after I owned my 50th anniversary commemorative jazz for only a couple of months when a contact on the input jack became loose and I had to resolder it! I had the same thought - on a commemorative bass with Fender's reputation, I would've expected better quality.

14. The stamp is also there so that those parts won't be passed on as "true vintage".

15. Maybe one day someone looks in the body of his Fender custom shop bass, to see the stamp - and there it is.

"Squier"

ROFL