Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Shop Noiseless or 1/4 Pounders or Lightnin Rods?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Oct 12, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    I'm looking at getting either a MIM Jazz or a SX Jazz. Either way Im definitely going to upgrade the pups. Any suggestions on going with the Fender Custom Shop Noiseless pups or 1/4 Pounders, or even an Active setup like the Seymour Duncan Lightning Rods?

Pros, cons, sound, etc?

2. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    *I* would go with the Fender Noiseless...

- Traditional Jazz tone

- Easy installation. No mods needed (You might/might not need to make room for a battery if you go with the Lightnin' Rods)

- No 60 cycle hum (obviously).

Also, you may want to take a look at the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass. It already has the Noiseless pups and an active preamp (plus a deluxe gig bag) for about $580.

A Fender Standard Jazz Bass $440 + New pickups $120 = $560 (w/no gig bag).

Although, if you go SX, your in a way lower price bracket...

4. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Yup I looked at the Fender Deluxe Active, but they dont make em in lefty, except for the American Deluxe that runs around $1200.

5. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    That site has awesome prices! $99.95 for the set, Ive seen the same set selling for $139!

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Lightning Rods are bright! In Seymour's I like the hot stacks as they're quiet and a bit beefy around the middle but still more old school than hifi. IMO.

7. I put Fender Vintage Noiseless on my new MIA Jazz bass.
    Really like them! Big, Fat, noiseless sound.

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    None of those. Go with Nordstrand. Fat, beefy, old-school thump.