Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Shop Parts?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Skorzen, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Am in the process of bilding a bass and am looking for tuners. I saw these and they were cheap which is good, but they seem cheap. anybody have expirience with Custom Shop Parts? Is the hardware they sell any good?

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, the bridges seem well built, but i would opt for sealed tuners. call me a prude, but that gear hanging out there just doesn't do it for me. i personally like the sperzel locking tuners.

3. I agree with 'toon about the bridges. I've got 2 of them and they are really pretty good pieces of hardware. Tuners are another thing. The sealed ones are fine (but don't fit all basses like the Fender). Open tuners vary greatly in quality and I haven't gotten any of these yet to compare. But if you want an extremely high quality set of open tuners for about $35, I would recommend a set of the Stewart MacDonald economy tuners. They have cast frames, nice heavy plating, and are adjustable by an allen screw on the bottom of the worm gear. If they wear to the point of loosening, you can adjust the gear lash (spacing) with this screw. The have the large tuning post and it's tapered to push the string windings down towards the headstock. I've used these and they are the best value I've seen.

4. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I just got a set of Custom Shop Parts open tuners for about $20. I'm waiting to install them on a project bass I'm starting (Green Lantern Bass II). They look fairly well built, but I'll let you know as I get to the point of using them.

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I am looking for sealed gold tuners. These looked like they could go either way.

Yeah definetly let me know how that goes.

6. Anyone ever tried the Hipshot XTender? What Hipshot models do these tuners fit in a set with anyway?

Also, where could I get hold of them (the full set)?

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, man....you might want to try allparts.com. they're a pretty big supplier of, well, everything. hope that helps.