1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

custom shop Pino Palladino vs Sean Hurley... is there much of a difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by big bottom boom, May 7, 2015.

1. just curios if people have tried these basses head to head to see what the main differences are.
    i know the Hurley has the bridge mute but is there really anything else seperating these 2 basses?
    reason i ask is am considering ordering one. just not sure which one i should get.

2. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Compare the specs on the FCS site. Basically the neck profiles, P/Us, color and strings are the differences. Then there's the 1959 Journeyman P Bass too which is also very similar, but has a gold guard and another slightly different neck profile, P/U, and nut too. I'm sure all 3 are fantastic basses and they're all based around the same era. The Pino has been out a lot longer than the other 2 so there probably won't be many people on here that have played em all. I've only played the Pino and the regular ash-body (now discontinued) '59 P and they were very similar in feel (I had TIs on my '59 - same as the Pino comes with), but the Pino sounded better to my ears.

Arild likes this.
  3. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I tried the Sean Hurley sig today , good bass, light, the set up was high but the instrument was playable.

But I used to own a pino palladino sig (biggest mistake ever that I sold it, I want to buy another good pbass, so it will be the pino or the sean hurley)
    The pino was more dynamic, the feel of the instrument was , for the lack of a better word, more "soulful"...but th eSH was feeling good!!!

The strings are different TI's on the Pino and Labella on the SH, so maybe the difference comes from here!!

4. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    I'd like to know if Fender's ever going to sell that foam mute thingy...

The Bass Clef likes this.
  5. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I must admit that when I tried the bass, the foam mute thing didn't really mute (not so much let's say).
    And the guy working in the bass store told me that he had two in his hands and that it was the same on the other one... (He also owned a pino that he missed....)

but the bass overall it's a good bass!!!

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    The mute is kind of primitive. It may have just needed some adjustment.

7. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Maybe! but except playing with the screws , I don't really see how to adjust that thing! but to me this bass sounds good, and is light, the bass needed a good set up as well!!! but a nice axe!

8. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    You've got it right. It is all about the depth of the hole for the plunger, and the height of the screws. Since you can't do much about the depth of the hold, the two screws are all you've got. It takes a little tinkering with their height to get the mute working the way you want.

I've never been anywhere that stocked a Pino or a Hurley, but I am very familiar with the pros, cons, and quirks of the Jaguar mute.

9. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    There's a Jaguar mute? Wow.

10. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    So what are the pros and cons?

11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Pros: It works as advertised when set up correctly. It is a functional string mute that can be adjusted to your liking and can be quickly turned on and off.
    Cons: If you remove it, you are left with a big hole in the body. Also, pretty much any way you mute will pull you out of tune just a little. With an "always on" mute, you can return to compensate. Since this toggles off and on, it will pull you out of tune. This really bothers some people, but IME, the amount it pulls you out of tune is minimal; you won't be any more out of tune than your guitar player on a good day. ;)

12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    To be precise it is a Jaguar Guitar mute. It is made to fit under the rocking bridge on a Jaguar Guitar so it also fits the same way on a Jazzmaster Guitar or a Fender/Squier VI bass. I'm about to put one on my Squier VI and if it works well I may add one to my Reggie Hamilton P/J. In addition to adjusting the mounting screws you can potentially play with different heights and types of foam on the plate. Should be able to find a wide variety of foams in the weatherstripping section of any home center.