1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Shop Question (1955 P Bass Reissue)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fxpmusic, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Fxpmusic

Fxpmusic

Jul 5, 2013
    The single coil P bass is to my eyes the sexiest P bass but I have come to terms with the fact that I will never drop that much money for an original 50s fender. My local GC has a CS 1955 Precision white blonde. Super relic’d (Read beat to poopy). It is used so idk if the relic job was like that or it saw some real action with a previous owner. It looks and plays awesome. I’m considering getting it but they do not have the case or custom shop paperwork. Idk much about CS... what should I be looking at. Is anybody familiar with this run? They have it priced at $1900 which seems ok but having a hard time finding resale value online.

2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I'd be all over that like a cheap suit if you were planning on keeping it and they supplied a hsc. That's assuming you've played it and it performs as good as it looks. No other advise except check for the Fender Custom Shop logo behind the headstock. Good luck!

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I used to have one, it was a fantastic bass!
    If it had the tweed case and the certificate it's be closer to 2300-2500. the certificate actually would have noted if this were an NOS, Closet Classic, or Relic version.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have a real '55 (pics below), and I also have a CS Jazz. The CS Jazz is better than any late 60's Jazz I have ever owned. Not saying it's better than any 60's Jazz, just better than the two I've owned. My '55 is sweet and lovely. When I got it, its body had been stripped and covered with thick brushed on poly. I had R&S Guitarworks restore the finish with some relic work, and Lindy Frailin rewound the shorted-out pick-up. I love the bass. It sounds and looks great, and helped put me though college. :thumbsup:

Well, you can probably guess my recommendation. Get the '55. The price is very good. Call Fender and see if you can get it a new certificate and case if you care, but my case is in a closet, the certificate is probably in the case, and the bass is in a gig bag, often on the way to a gig or Jam. :bassist:

CS basses are amazing and 55's kill!!! Get the '55 and play the heck out of it. Who cares about the case and the piece of paper? Go make some great music! :cool: :cool: :cool:

body9.
    IMG_0231.
    headstock21.
    IMG_0230.
    back.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I would look for a 51 reissue or Sting signature if you don't mind the Stinglay. I had one and it didn't bother me at all.

6. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That's the rub... Fender will not give anyone new CS certificates.

Jim Carr likes this.
  7. Fxpmusic

Fxpmusic

Jul 5, 2013
    I don’t truly care for the piece of paper. I guess the question is, does it matter if I was to sell it eventually?

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Wow, thanks, I didn't know that. I guess they want to "make sure no one forges a CS bass." ;)

But (un)seriously, for anyone who thinks that these sorts of things can't be forged, I've got some 1940's diaries by a certain evil dictator for sale.

No piece of paper makes a bass sound better, does it? If one can charge more because of the certificate, it just piles more truth on the greater fool postulate, doesn't it?

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I seriously doubt you would ever have to accept less than what you are likely paying. It is already "depreciated."

Fxpmusic likes this.
  10. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    Yes. It does matter if you ever have to sell it. Ideally the bass would come with the original case, case candy, and cert. Price goes down for each missing item.

On the other hand, try and use this to get the price down.

Caca de Kick and Fxpmusic like this.
  11. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I think that’s a fair price for a CS bass. I got my used CS NOS ‘64 Jazz for 2k, and I’ve played the heck out of it for almost 10 years. It’s got some good “mojo” happening at this point.

The case, manual, and certificate are pretty much untouched in a closet. Although I did break it all open and think I lost the strap and cable?? Can’t remember. I’m not sure the stuff I have, or the stuff I’ve lost adds or subtracts value. I don’t think so. Probably yes if it was still unplayed and in mint condition. But that’s not the case, and I don’t think I will ever sell it anyway, so who cares.

Maybe you could use this to knock some $$ off, or get a free case or something.

I think the case it would come with is just a fender deluxe case, which you could buy if you wanted. My case doesn’t have anything indicating that it is CS, but I have seen some with the CS logo.

Play the bass, and if you love the way it looks, like the way it sounds, and it feels right in your hands, then go for it. Get what ever case or gig bag works for you, and don’t worry about the paper.

If you are really worried about it, you might be able to get the SN and just confirm or get some info from the CS.
    But if you love it, nothing wrong with a little mystery.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  12. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Typical GC, no case. They probably threw it out with the case candy.

13. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Custom Shop 55 hasnt been made in many years so pretty sure its just a used trade in.

The case for the 55 was the same blond tweed that came with a reissue of the same time (mid 2k's), no special logos.

14. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a good deal--that can get better. I'm not much on relic'ed instruments. Don't mind wear but not fond of a lot of fake wear. That being said, I have a '55 (doesn't look as nice as Jim's), and it feels like an old friend. People either love the sound (which is unique) or hate it. Make sure you love it.

15. Fxpmusic

Fxpmusic

Jul 5, 2013
    I know the manager and crew of the store on a personal level. Solid location and people. It’s an used bass that got traded in.

16. Fxpmusic

Fxpmusic

Jul 5, 2013
    Being used, It’s really hard to tell when the relic job ended and the real wear started. It even has some sticker residue above the bridge.

Jim Carr likes this.
  17. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Actually, they will - I (coincidentally) have a Masterbuilt 1955 P Bass and it is crazy good. I bought it at GC and they got a new certificate from Fender. I had to provide pictures of the bass, including serial number and CS logo from the back of the headstock.

They’re great basses, BTW. My 55 is the closest I’ve gotten to the tone and vibe of my vintage basses.

They can get you the right case from Fender too. When I bought mine, they didn’t have the right case - I had them order that too and they threw it in at no charge.

Caca de Kick, Jim Carr and Fxpmusic like this.
  18. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    beauty

Jim Carr likes this.
  19. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Indeed - wow!

20. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Sorry for the derail with my bass pics. I just want @Fxpmusic to get that bass. Must also say (again) I really dig my '55—and CS basses are amazingly great. :cool:

Fxpmusic likes this.