Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Shop > Vintage

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sippy, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    The vintage pickups in my '73 P-bass were on the fritz, they weren't very loud, were hissing like nuts, andjust didn't sound... right. I took my baby to the Greatest Luthier in the world!!!! (Bob Petersen; works on the guitars (six string electric) used on the most recent sir paul McCartney tour.) He hooked it up to an ohmeter(sp? Ohm-Meter) and the pickups were reading at around 5.2 and they are supposed to be reading around 10.. so he said he'll rewind them, and throw in some Fender Custom Shop pickups while I wait... I LOVE these custom shop pickups!!! It sounds perfect... granted, he did replace all the wiring, the pots, and capacitor but this bass is heavenly!!!! (all for $60... greatest guy in the world)... Is it wrong of me to choose these over the original p'ups? :( heheh I dont' care about the value, the only way this bass is leaving my possesion is when they are lowering me 6 feet underground.. I'm just saying,, morally ;) hehe

Mike

2. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    it can not and should not be wrong to choose whatever pickup you like.

If you like a cheesy $20 pickup over a Lane Poor, fine then be it!

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Wow, these are great. I loved this bass so much before just from the mojo.. now it has GREAT sound with the great mojo. :) I'm thrilled!!!

4. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would still see how he does with the rewinding, but yeah, the CS pickups are great. I have them in my Jazz and my P copy.

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    oh yea the vintage Pickups came out great! they're much louder and a fuller tone, but I still like the CS pickups a lot more. I'm obviously gonna keep my 70's pickups in a box and store them. but these CS pickups are monsters.

7. tmax

tmax Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Hallowell, Maine
    I have a '99 USA 62' reissue J that I put custom shop J's into and you a right they are so money! I think the custom shop concept is a bit over rated for the most part, but i'll give them credit on their pick ups. They are a great product.

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea definitly... I like to find out how much these pickups are retail price. If they aren't that bad I'd like to get another set and throw them into my fretless squier!