Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Steinberger Body

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by WesW, Sep 1, 2005.

1. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    I commissioned this body from luthier Bill Wilkat and he did a wonderful job with it. It was created to be used with a Steinberger bolt on neck (which can also be had from Moses), EMG35's (x2), and Steinberger hardware. Other necks may fit or work, but it was built specifically for Steinberger hardware. No hardware is included - just the body - as seen in the pictures. Unfortunately, I have not been using this - and I hate to see this craftsmanship not being utilized. This body design is based on the wonderful concept developed by Pedulla for their Thunderbolt Bass.

The woods used to create this beauty, are: Zebra wood (for the top), maple and wenge (for the center), walnut, (veneer, sandwiched between the top and bottom) and butternut (for the back). The back also features a cavity control cover made from butternut, proving much nicer than a plastic cover!

The weight of this instrument is light and well balanced by the combination of the woods selected, and results in an extremely comfortable bass. The over all dimensions are approximately 12" x 17 3/4" x 1 3/4" thick, so that it would retain the small bass appeal of the Steinberger concept, while still providing a unique and classy look.

Original price I paid was $586 US. I will take offers - any offers. I hate to see this beauty not being used.

Pics (click for full size):
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I do have some higher resolution pictures available.

Serious offers will be considered.

Email appreciated - wesw AT strange-band.com.

2. WesW

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Still available.

I'd like 350 - but please feel free to make an offer.

3. Hmmm... 350 sounds cool.I have a few questions first. Where would I get the steinberger hardware from??Would I get it from them directly?? What bridge fits it?? Where do I find moses stuff??If you can give me this and all the info I need to put it together I think we can have a deal.Do you have problems shipping to Canada?? Can you email me some more pics at nikdragun@hotmail.com . Thanks in advance, Nik.

4. WesW

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Bassboost - Thanks for the questions. No - this body actually came from Canada - so no issues with shipping there at all. :)

You can get moses info here: http://mosesgraphite.com/ and you may want to look at Status as well - they are just getting a steinberger neck into production in the next couple of months: http://status-graphite.com/

Steinberger hardware can be best gotten off an old steiny - ebay has them on there a lot. You can also get some hardware from Musicyo.com - the store Gibson created online to sell the Spirit line (korean made) steinberger line. i don't know whether or not the spirit hardware will fit this body - it was created and originally had steinberger hardware from an XQ Series with the graphite neck - not spirit hardware. The spirit bridge 'looks' compatible - but I don't know if the footprint is the same or not - it certainly appears to be - but I don't own a spirit. There is also hohner basses that resemble the 'baseball' bat steinberger - I don't know about the compatibility of that hardware either. You can also check with Ed Roman - but you may want to be careful - he offers no return policy, he's very expensive, and I've been told he's not easy to deal with. YMMV.

5. WesW

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Still got it.
    BASSBOOST - any other questions? I never heard back after I emailed you.....