Custom Strap < $100?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Dec 27, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    That's right folks. I've been using a Yamaha 3" leather strap for about 2 years, but it's just not cutting it at any height. It's not offering enough support for my small (and somewhat weak) young frame :p .

So, I'm looking at getting a custom strap made. What I'd really like is something preferably 4" wide, adjustable to maybe 52" or whatever the norm is, and padded. Padding is a MUST, and the wider the better. My sixer and my Jazz weigh in quite hefty, so I need the support.

I dislocated my left shoulder about 2 years ago, and while it is healed just fine, I get terrible pains if I play too long. The doc himself prescribed something that supports my instruments better.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I could get something like this for under $100? The cheaper, the better, cuz at least if I lose it, I can have it replaced quicker.
  2. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you looked at Moody Leather? Their straps are around $100, and are good. They're actually sold in the TB store..
  3. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Maybe I'm just weird or something, but I'm really put off by the logos and trademarks on the straps. I like the style and quality of Levi straps, but I'll be darned if I'm going have their logo out there like I'm advertising for them or something. Levi's company makes more money than I do... they don't need my help.

Moody's look really good, but then again, there's the Moody logo.

Musicians Friend catalog came today..... some OK straps in there, but none without some picture or something on it. I don't want to make a statement with the strap, I just want to hold my bass in place.

Any idea where I can get a 3.5 to 4 inch leather strap without the artwork?
  4. Wouldn't the same apply to any bass you play?
  5. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    You mentioned the Moody logo on the strap. I don't know about the usual Moody stock, but the one I ordered through Talkbass only has a small (2" * 1/2") engraving of sorts that says 'Moody'. It's not colored, and you certainly can't see it from more than 5 feet away.
  6. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    How about adding a sheepskin sleeve or pad to an existing strap? Or possibly some very thick harness leather? That would make it wider and softer and cost way less than $100. The only question would be whether to use contact cement, rivet or sew it on.

Here is Mosby's sheepskin pad:

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Try the Comfort Strapp
  8. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  9. Goto your local leather worker, not a leather store, but a leather craftsman, and have one made to whatever specs your little heart desires. Engraving, colour, size, etc...I was looking at one being made here in Canada, and I was looking at around $250. It is more than you are looking to spend, but you would get a one of a kind creation WITHOUT ANY LOGO

Question...if you don't like your straps to have logos because "they (the company) makes more money than I do", do you take any/all names off your bass for the same reason?
  10. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    Italia Straps made a 4" strap for me and he stamped the logo on the inside as I asked. Nice strap, good price. Don't know if they can do padding as the original poster wanted.
  11. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Hey, if the company puts a huge gaudy logo on a bass, I just won't buy it. I need to love the guitar aesthetically as well as the sound, otherwise I won't shell out the cash. Same with a strap. Don't deny that you made it, but there's no reason why a strap should have to double as a freaking billboard.

+1 on the leather worker idea.

Or check this out.
  12. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've scoured my small town for a leather worker, but nonesuch manufacturer exists. I've been considering the Studio series Italia, and trying to find someone to just make a cushy pad for it. Anyone here owned a Studio series (their cheaper model)?
  13. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Planet Waves makes a shoulder pad called The Squid. You can check it out here.

I've not had it on a strap, mainly because I don't like shoulder pads, but I tried it out at the store, and it certainly seems to help out a lot...

I don't know that it will fit on a 4" strap, but who knows? Give it a shot. The idea behind it is pretty sound, IMHO.

Another link to it
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought a plain black leather Levi's strap with the logo on the inside today for about 13.50$ at my local music store.
  15. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I have 2 straps from these guys on ebay They aren't 4 inches wide, but are padded, and have the length you are looking for. I was so happy with the first one I got a second when I got my GL Jazz. They might even do a custom wider one if you contact them.
  16. The logos on my bass amps are removed or covered.

I did have this strap made to "resemble" Peter Green's when he was in Fleetwood Mac. It's been a few years, it either cost me $30 or $50 (I don't remember). I told the dude what I was after and he made it. In any case, I would have preferred softer leather, but it's softening up over time.
  17. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens I ordered my brother a suede strap for christmas and it is freakin suite. And they have 4inch models.
  18. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    If the studio series is the one that is one layer black, I have one of those. It's stiff and sturdy. It's the kinda thing that will get more comfortable as it breaks in, like new jeans.
  19. I can't think of what you call them, but someone who makes leather crap for horses...saddles, stirrups etc... the name escapes me at the moment...they should be able to make one, or point you in the right direction. Or ask a high end leather store, or ask a fetish shop (leather outfits, masks, restraints, that kinda stuff) stupid as it sounds they should be able to point you in the right direction as well. If you really want a quality custom one, thats the only thing I can suggest.

Also check out F bass, they sell straps that are very comfortable, and from what I remember fairly priced.
  20. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    You might find a tackle shop and find out about their leather worker for saddles and bridles and stuff is. Those cats usually know well what they are doing, can make you whatever you want, and will charge a lot less than some of the custom leather workers in the area. At least around here