1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom string gauge for 6 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sfxster, Oct 23, 2013.

1. sfxster

sfxster

Apr 12, 2011
    Chile
    I want to buy some new strings for my bass since my g string kinda broke and the b string is not defined at all. Curently I'm using a PureTone 0.30-1.30 set

I know very little about strings and its gauges, so I'm guessing the string set must have equal tension for each string. I'm thinking of a 0.35-0.45-0.60-0.80-1.05-1.45 D'Addario Nickel roundwound custom but don't know if it's right or not.

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    It's pretty close.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    For equal *scientific* tensions .145 .105 .080 .060 .045 .032.
    The .035 C would be extremely tight and tighter than the .045, .032 is equal in tension.
    Personally i find a steady and slight fall in tension from low to high creates equal *perceived* tensions, feel and playability, but that is fairly subjective. The only way to pefect your set is by trial and error experimenting with single strings.

4. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    About a .128 or .130 for the B for action reasons.

Also a .085, and .065 feel right, not sure if these give me equal tension.

5. sfxster

sfxster

Apr 12, 2011
    Chile
    My bass is a 34'' scale, in all the strings I've used so far the low B sounds kinda dead. That's why I want to use a heavier gauge

Also I forgot to ask if I'm gonna have problems with the thicker strings on the bridge. The SR496 uses a Ibanez B106 I think. Look like this one
    SR5000BM_Bridge.

6. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The only Low B's that impressed me were on 35" scale OR a well crafted instrument.

Most of my 5ers are E to C. I have an Elrick NJS5
    strung B to G and any B string I've put on it sounds great.

7. Pretty sure Low B performance is in the string's construction. Bigger string = generally more tension.

8. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Does not always equate to better sound.

All of the 35"+ basses of owned (12 in total) had great sounding B strings no matter what brand or gauge.
    The C strings were always a bit twangy.

9. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    They don't. A .130 will pull about 36 pounds. A .085 will pull roughly 51 pounds. The .065 will pull about 53 pounds.

sfxster - Consider a tapered B string. This will make the string a bit more articulate and it is likely to sit better sonically with the rest of the set. A tapered E will be a bit more lively too.

10. jay tay

jay tay

Aug 12, 2009
    Manchester UK
    I use 30, 45, 65, 85, 105, 130, Elites Stadiums, and find them very even in feel and sound. Bright B, and smooth C.

11. sfxster

sfxster

Apr 12, 2011
    Chile
    What do you mean with tapered strings? Sounds interesting

12. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    The image you posted shows a non-tapered low string - the thickness of the string is seemingly consistent along its full length;

SR5000BM_Bridge.

This image shows the low string having a thinner section of string crossing the saddle;

IMG_1163_med.

The thinner section resting on the saddle lets the string vibrate more freely - it makes it sound brighter for lack of a better description.

13. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    = taperwound string (search it). At .145 taperwound is essential for clarity and brightness, also it will help you intonate it and it will sit in the saddle better. But it looks like D'Addario no longer do the XLB145T.
    If you want an excellent tapered B in a nickelplated roundwound tension balanced set i recommend Circle K Strings, the .142 set here http://circlekstrings.com/store/standard-balanced-6-strings-ss3.html. Many reviews say the Bs are excellent and clear.
    Your bridge is fine but a non-tapered .145 might possibly cause small problems with intonation and fitting in the bridge.
    If not CKS www.bassstringsonline have an awesome selection of singles in many brands, highly recommended.
    (BTW hi Skip!).

14. sfxster

sfxster

Apr 12, 2011
    Chile

I appreciate the replies, I'm learning a lot with this

Now, is there much difference between nickel and steel? I found both 0.145 D'Addario tapered on bassstringsonline but haven't found a 0.105T yet

15. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    You don't need a tapered E - only worry about acquiring one if you find the tone dark or undefined, and most players are perfectly fine with a non-tapered E.

I cannot speak for most players who have B strings on their bass, but a tapered B allows a thicker string to sound more akin to the set it is in than a B (or lower) string that is not tapered - my opinion, ymmv . . .

16. sfxster

sfxster

Apr 12, 2011
    Chile
    Finally bought a 32,45,60,80,105,145T nickel set. Hopefully they'll arrive within this year. Thanks to all you guys for your help! :D