1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HELLonWHEELS, Mar 22, 2006.

1. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Where can i find strings in this gauge 47-65-85-105

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of strings? You can order custom sets from many companies, but are you looking for rounds or flats? Steels or nickels?

3. Good luck finding the 47.

The rest, you can get by ordering singles and putting together your own set. I doubt you'd notice the difference between 45 and 47, so you can get a single 45 for your set.

Somewhere like Juststrings.

Out of curiousity, why do you want a 47, anyway?

4. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    roundwound 47 is what i really want the 50 is too thick and the 45 is too thin(sounds like the 3 bears doesn't) a 47 sounds just right. I was wondering where i can find that brand doesn't matter as long as its a roundwound. I found a couple like the Will Lee sig. and Dean MArkley S2000.

EDIT: what about a guitar string?

5. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I noticed the other day that the Dean Markley Will Lee Custom set is 47-67-87-107. I guess that extra .02 really makes a difference. :confused:

6. HELLonWHEELS

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    i play bass boombers for now. I could i buy a 47 guitar boomers and just add it on or would that be a horrible idea

7. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Fodera can make you any guages you want. I ordered a 4-string set of Anthony Jackson strings (exposed core) in James Jamerson guages. The Diamond series (which the AJ's are a part of) are compresion wound, ie theya re rounds that are fed through a roller to flatten them out a bit, amking for an eliptical profile on the windings. The feel really nice and sound great. They make their strings at the Fodera shop in NY. http://fodera.com

Carl Thompson can also get you any guages you want, his strings are probably the nicest sounding nickle strings (Carl doesn't do steels) I've ever played. He has his strings made from a specific aloy, they sound very warm and very alive. My bass teacher said they are the best string she's ever tried, also very easy to intonate very precisely. Carl's also GREAT to deal with, and is an all around great guy, with many a story to tell if he's in the mood(he made the first modern six string bass and makes Les Claypool's basses) http://ctbasses.com

~Paul :)