1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom "SWcaRvin" Workingman's BX512 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Prepare to lol...

I have a very vintage SWR WM's 12 combo (S# 723), which happened to fry on me a few years ago. I had it checked out by a tech, and he condemned it. To repair, it would cost about as much as a whole new unit, so I just put it in my garage and didn't know what to do with it....I mean, the speaker section is fine.
    P1020497.gif

So I'm expecting a Carvin BX 500 on Thursday. A thread in this section about where good amps go when they die prompted some creativity. I took a close look at the amp after cleaning it up some, took the amp out of it and took some measurements.
    P1020493.gif

The BX 500 will fit into the original amp section height and depth-wise, but maybe not in width. This opening is 13.25" wide, the BX500 is 14" wide. I don't know if that is the exact width, but I doubt they'd be off by 3/4" either way...if anything it would be 1/8" off actual if anything (I've seen Carvin's measurements off by some).

So if the BX500 would fit, I'd have me a pretty neat custom combo. If not, I'll just cut the original amp section off the top and use it as a 1x12T cabinet, just like what SWR offered as an extention cab for this very amp back in '96 or so. Just have to relocate the handle.
    P1020494.gif

[​IMG]

Add get this, I have an old Carvin HF crossover/input jack from an RL210 I used to own. I cut a hole in back of the cabinet and installed it. It all works like a dream, I tested it with my brother's Ampeg SVT-200T.
    P1020496.gif

The original speaker is a 200 watt celestion, 8 ohms. The BX500 puts out 300w at 8, I should be ok as long as I don't crank it to 8 I suppose. If anything, I'll see if I can locate a more powerful Neo 12 that would match this cab volume...but not unless I blow this one.

2. Looks good! I've made 1-12 cabs out of a couple of non-working WM 12 combos.

3. and...here it is:
    P1020508.gif

The speaker in this cabinet has a very prominent midrange...almost too nasal-sounding, which is why the contour knob is scooped so much, to mellow the mids down a bit. Going through my 4x10, I keep it flat.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020