Custom Thumb update

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jordy, Dec 8, 2005.

1. A while back (09-02-2005 to be exact) I had a post saying that I had ordered a custom Warwick Thumb 5 Neck-through (Bubinga Pommele, Wenge/Bubinga laminate neck, Natural Oil finish, Bell Brass Just-A-Nut 1, In-Body Straplocks, Macassar Ebony fingerboard) and I had to wait around 3 months for it.

Well, the three months is up and my bass is in :hyper:
    However, I can not pick it up until later this weekend :bawl:

But all is not lost, if you follow the link
    to the German warwick custom shop it has pictures :bassist:
    It's the one called "Thumb Bass 5-saiter mit Wenge Hals" and explains how it is being shipped to Victoria through Dominant music.

Actual pics to follow in a few days, but in the meantime if you excuse me I'm going to go off and Ralph in anticipation :hyper:
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Very nice!

This thing jsut blew my mind when I saw it...

3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So what exactly is so custom about urs?
  4. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Usually the fretboard is Wenge. There may be some other stuff too. Nice bass! Enjoy.
  5. The custom stuff on mine is:
    Wenge neck as opposed the now standard Ovangkol.
    Recessed Strap locks as opposed to the now standard strap buttons.
    Brass Just-A-Nut 1 as opposed to the plasticy-wilfrite Just-A-Nut 2.
    And Macassar Ebony fingerboard as opposed to standard Ebony.

I was really after an old-school options style Thumb, but new...

I know the old thumbs had a Wenge/Wenge neck/fingerboard.
    But I love the Ebony, so I decided to go with that instead.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So pretty much a few options they retired in 98 and a more intersting fingerboard.

Sucks that they got rid of all thsoe options.

How much extra are they making you pay?
  7. Not too much more, a couple of hundred for the Wenge.
    Like $60 for the brass nut and around a hundred-ish for the Recessed strap locks.
    Instead of retailing for $5999 the price was $6799 (Australian that is, don't have a heart attack) :D

I love Thumbs sooooo much, but I was a bit peeved I couldn't find a second hane one with everything I wanted (plus, being a bit pessimistic I hate buying second hand instruments) so I just went the custom route instead.

Plus the use (even) nicer cuts of woods for their customs...
  8. Also, that's retail. I didn't have to pay that much in the end (praise god).

I posted the German site instead because the latest customs (including mine) haven't been put on the International sites yet, just the German.

I can't pick it up until Monday-ish though. A patient person I am not...
  9. Great bass man! Enjoy.

Just a quick note on this. It looks like the english version hasn't been updated recently. Jordy's bass is listed only on the german version. The Swirly Bubinga Thumb on the german site makes me randy, I wish I knew how much of an upcharge that is.
  10. would you say that the brass nut is better than the wilferite one???
  11. I really wish some of their old options were no-charge or small upcharge options on their new basses. With Peavy(Cirrus) and Carvin doing these options without charging an extra arm and a leg, you'd think you could at least get a wood change for less than $400 extra.

I really just want a Bubinga bolt-on thumb, or a corvette standard with wenge instead of ovangkol neck.
  12. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Some of these prices seem kind of exorbitant. I mean.. the retail price of a Warwick is a bit much, IMO, considering what you can get done at a custom shop. Though I shouldn't talk because something I've always gassed for was a custom Spector... those things are ridiculously expensive but so sweet looking...

Congrats on your new bass, though! If I were to get a custom Warwick, Id probably go with the same options.
  13. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    Man, that's one sweet bass! Welcome to the club!!!
  14. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here, for convenience's sake, here's the pics. I hope they don't mind me hotlinking:

Oh how I love firefox.
  15. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

List price on that was $5,000 US? That is a LOT of $$ for a Warwick - I didn't realize they were so expensive.

I'll stick with my basses, glad you like yours, though.

Dan K.
  16. shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    nah its Australian dollars