Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom truss rod covers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TK65, Jun 13, 2003.

1. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    Anyone here had a custom TRC made? By whom? It amazes me that even on a $1000 (and up!) instrument, you get the .50 cent plastic cover.

I'm going to try to put my hands on some small bits of koa, ebony, flamed maple and so on, and try to make my own, but I wouldn't mind buying one that was done properly. I'm also thinking about brass or gold plated for one or two of mine - those I guess I will have to buy, unless I melt down some of my bling-bling!

Thoughts?

K.
    http://www.carvinbassmuseum.com

2. My Bone Piccolo Bass came with a matching truss rod cover, as you can see here.

[​IMG]

They don't look too hard to make. How hard could it be to sand down a triangle of wood and make it so it screws on correctly? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems simple enough.

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have often thought about the samething.
    On a nice bass it should have a wood TRC. It's not a big deal, but it's simple and adds so much class.
    I've seen Fodera basses with the plastic TRC, I mean if I pay $4000 for a bass it should at least have a wood TRC or maybe an Abalone TRC, that would look nice.
    I might look into that, Abalone would be nice as a TRC.
    Has anybody ever seen an Abalone or maybe a MOP TRC.

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I had this thought: You can label the plastic TRC with the company logo. I think thats why a $4000 bass would have a plastic TRC.
    That totally bugs me.

5. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    I think shaping will be simple enough - my concern is cutting a 1" thick (roughly) down to the correct thickness (thinness?).

I found some ebony on StewMac - only about 7 bucks for a small piece, so I think I'll try that first.

Since I play Carvin basses, I can't find pre-made ones that are the correct shape, so I guess I will at least try to make my own. Or maybe make my own, then have them inlaid or something. I just want something classier than plastic.

Of course, when all is said and done, it has no affect on the sound or playability - it's just something that bugs me!

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't stand truss rod covers.
    None on my basses. :)

7. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    whats a truss rod cover thing. Is it like the bit on the bass by the tuners, where on warwicks it normally says sumin like streamer standard, or warwick

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yup.