1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Upright bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by tappingtrance, Oct 26, 2013.

1. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Working on a design of a six string bass tuned like a guitar (down an octave of course) but can not locate any string that could accomodate tuning to a high "E". I currently use Obligatos on my 5 string bass with the High C tuned down to a B so I am just one string away! It wouls be rough to try to take the Hogh "C" up to an "E".
    I have looked at gamba strings but they are too short and/or gut. Any recomendations on someone/company that may do custom string work? Thanks.

2. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    there are at least 2 companies that will make pretty much anything you spec for EB - even very radical scale lengths

I would start there - the TB EB Strings threads

3. tappingtrance

Jul 27, 2005
    thanks

4. You could talk to Gerold Genssler. His work is mostly custom.

5. tappingtrance

Jul 27, 2005
    sounds good thanks!

6. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    I am playing one of Gerolds high E strings on a 38" scale Juzek. It is pretty sweet.

7. Gut string manufacturers will make any gut string you want as long as it is possible.
    There is a limit for the highest open string pitch depending on the string scale. Going higher does break the string and you need a safe distance for this, since pressing down the string and powing or plucking the string will raise the tension.

8. tappingtrance

Jul 27, 2005
    So a high E, exactly what I am looking for - cannot find a website though, any contact info or distributors? Thanks sounds promising!

9. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
  10. paulunger

paulunger Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Pirastro makes a "Passione" and an "Obligato" high e string. I prefer the Passione. You have to special order it and wire the money to them directly. Just send an email to Adrian Mueller at info@pirastro.com

If you are only a jazz player (not worried about bowing) than the Genssler string would be better.