custom vs. "custom"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 27, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i hate how some manufacturers have basses with the sub-name "custom", as well as claiming as offering "custom" guitars, such as G&L.

they're great guitars, but to me, custom should mean the complete freedom of choice of design. not just fancy colors and top woods. IMO.

there should be a different word.... let's try, modified?

anyone agree?
  2. search or custom bass on ebay. plenty of $200 custom basses, all identical.

IMO it's custom only if it was made to someone's specs, not just an off the shelf variation that came close to what they wanted. If I contact the company and tell them I want a certain model with THIS wood, in THAT color, and they build it, it's custom. Just because the options I can choose from are limited doesn't mean it's not custom, because I did get to choose. OTOH if a company decides to make a smaller production run of a standard instrument with a slight change (different color or something) and label it "custom" that's pretty bogus.

Modified to me implies I bought a standard issue bass and changed it later to be more what I wanted.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Custom Optioned and Custom Designed is where the confusion is. Most "Custom" instruments are simply "Custom Optioned"

it's not modified either.... that infers that you recieved it and "modified" it to you liking.