1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom Warmoth Bass Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by non, May 16, 2018.

1. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    i want to preface this by saying i am a production manager for a company that does nothing but custom work for apparel and interior design companies. we would never charge extra for not doing something that is included in the base price of custom work.
    that said...
    i contacted warmoth about one of there bass bodies and asked if it was possible to get the shape i want but without the tummy contour and forearm contour. these come standard on the body. they said it would be $15 per contour to omit these contours.
    so $30 extra to not do the work that is included in the base price.

i get that custom work costs money. it is what i do for a living. but if they do less work and i still pay the base price that included that work aren't they coming out ahead anyway?
    i don't want to sound like a jerk over $30 bucks but there is just a little bit of "principal" creeping under my skin. i would still pay the $30 extra to get what i want since that is there business model but i was kind of shocked at the extra charge. maybe omitting the contours interrupts the cnc process so it takes time away from production?
    what say you?

2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Yes they would need to halt the CNC process , reprogram perhaps and who knows maybe remove and refit the billet . $30 seems fair to me .

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This.

They don't "carve" bodies. They manufacture them. They stick a hunk of wood into a CNC and hit the "Jazz" button (or something similar)..... more likely they bring up the file on a computer and click on it. But you get the point.

So they would have to program a new shape. The CNC doesn't know it's doing "less work". To the machine, it's just another shape. The humans would have to create a new 3D shape to give the machine its instructions.

You're paying the human. And it's probably harder than $30 worth. It's likely going to be in CAD. And it will take more than just dragging a curve over with a mouse.

Seems fair to me as well.

4. non

non

Aug 4, 2015
    thanks. that is what i figured. i just wanted to feel a better about paying extra. omitting the contours is doing extra work. got it.