Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Warmoth Body Wood - Any experience doing this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Mar 29, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I keep looking at Warmoth's site, and eventually I would like to build my own Warmoth bass. It would be my first experience doing anything like this.

Anyway, I was looking at the bass galleries and I found this picture of an Ash J Bass with Bubinga Top :eek:

[​IMG]

First off, has anyone built a Warmoth bass where they sent them the body or top wood and had them make it custom? What was your experience/wait time?

Second, where would I go about finding Bubinga like this? I love the faded area in the center.

Also, as a side question, does anyone know if Warmoth will do custom neck radius? I'd like a 12" and something similar to my G&L #8.

2. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually I just looked and Warmoth does offer a Bubinga top. If I sent them this picture, would they be able to pick out a piece that is close?

3. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I think that customer made the body himself and we just sold him an ash body blank. Larry Davis at Galley Hardwoods advertises figured bubinga top woods for electric guitars - I'll bet he could find you something cool.

We do have some figured bubinga tops, but it's a wide flame figure, not crotch/burl like the piece above is. That's a very exceptional piece.

Brooks here on the forum has a couple of basses that he sent us the top wood for - hopefully he'll join in and share his thoughts.

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'd love to build basses, but in the house I'm in the process of buying, I don't really have room for all the equipment I would need. So I figure I could half calm the urge by getting a body/neck from Warmoth and doing as much of the work I can with the exception of physically shaping and making the body and the neck.

But I'm pretty ignorant about even putting one together and wouldn't trust myself to assemble a birdhouse, so I'll have to take it slow :)