1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Warmoth Jazz... Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rocinante_x1, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I've wanted to make my own custom jazz bass from parts my own way for a while now. I want it to be a White jazz body String thru, but without the arm contour with black binding. Black pickguard, Maple neck/fretboard with black block inlays and binding, black headstock, Badass III String thru bridge and 70's pickup placement. The only thing i can't decide on, is whether to have all black hardware or chrome. If i go with black hardware, i might want to use white jazz knobs. I've got time to decide when that time comes. I've priced everything already and it would run me approximately $1200, and since i live in washington, i can just drive down to the Warmoth plant.

I used photoshop and chopped literally 6 basses to get the final result. Here's what I want it to look like. CustomJazzw-badass3.

Opinions?

2. dionysusolympus

dionysusolympus

Apr 13, 2010
    i would opt for white or silver inlays, rather than the black inlays. but if you intend on keeping black inlays, have a tinted fretboard. other than that, i dig it for a 4-stringer.

3. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    You mean like this?

4. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    silver inlays would look cool but I like the black too. Unless you did a black control plate too I would stick with the chrome hardware. Not having the arm contour would drive me nuts though. Looks cool man. Like something Sting would play or something. One of these days I'm going to build a Warmoth bass as I LOVE my Warmoth Tele guitar, but I bought my Pedulla for cheaper than I can build an equivalent. :rolleyes: I'm thinking fretless black korina Gecko 5. You wouldn't take me some pictures of some nice slabs of black korina while your there would ya? :ninja:

5. dionysusolympus

dionysusolympus

Apr 13, 2010
    something like that, but whiter or more silver inlays...but that's just my opinion.

6. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I'll do it for you, but it wont be until september-october timeline. that's when i return home from iraq. but i'll make sure I do.

7. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Cool, thanks. I've been pretty addicted to building fEarful cabs lately and kind of broke because of it, but maybe around that time I would be ready to order body and neck. Get home safe!

8. I dig the black inlays - the painted headstock not so much. my 2¢

nice though - a warmoth P has consumed my GAS!

9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

with the black block inlays , i'd suggest all black hardware ... jmo
    white inlays ?
    classic look with silver hardware , but i'd lose the black headstock ...
    again , jmo .

:D

10. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Sorry, but the Warmoth facility is not open to the public and has not been for many years. We're stuffed to the rafters with projects and have no room to accept walk-in traffic. Sorry!

11. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    If you live in Washington and will be driving down to Puyallup, I would strongly suggest considering a neck from USA Custom Guitars instead of Warmoth.

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/

Warmoth uses steel bars (as opposed to graphite), and a double exanding truss rod in their necks... which makes them HEAVY. (10-12oz more.) Hipshot ultralites are a MUST, and if you like a light bass body, even the ultralites wont save you.

They only offer one fingerboard radius (10"), and two different front-to-back thicknesses. (They will do a thinner neck than their standard, even though it's not listed on their site of you ask them).

Don't get me wrong... if a super-rigid neck is what you want, or some crazy exotic wood, go with Warmoth. But if you want to tweak it at all... or get a warmer, more punchy neck (rather than bite-y), I'd talk to Tommy at USACG. If you're gonna be in Puyallup, you can hit both spots and see for yourself.

Tommy can't currently do the blocks and binding in-house, but he has a guy he uses for that work.

My two cents.

12. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I did not know this. Thanks for informing me.

13. Rocinante_x1

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I know there's an option to get binding on a bass with the forearm contour, but i dont know if i'd like that look... Im kinda thinking of a flat top style almost like whats on the aerodyne.