Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Goretopsy, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    My uncle is a pretty experanced wood worker, and he suggested that we should try to make a custom bass, i was thinking of buying a neck (warmoth, carvin or somthing)and making our own body for it. I was wondering if in your opinion that we try a bolt on or a neck-thru. I would like a neckthru but I also think it would be pretty hard to make it considering it dosnt seem too easy and we have no experiance in making basses. but making a bolt on or set neck bass seemes to be slightly easier since all we would need to do is make a body with the proper neck pocket size (and other stuff), plus I've got enough experiance to know how some of the things go (I'm 16 but ive owned 7 basses (4-6 string) and 2 guitars in the last 4 years of playing bass) so I think the easier would be the bolt on and if we get that right maybe doing a neck thru later.

2. I think that maybe a neckthru would be easier to make as you're going to buy the neck. You and uncle would only have to glue upper and lower sections of the body, and carve them. If you make a body for bolting the neck on, you will have to be very careful when digging the gap for the neck to be set. The surfaces to be in contact with the neck have to fit perfectly with it and must not be angled form the surface of the body so that the action doesn't get affected. I hope I explaned myself..

Well in the other hand.. The difficultity of making neck thru basses lies in the fact that the pieces of wood used for the neck have to be longer. Also, for big manufacters, it is much easier to make tons of necks and tons of bodies separately for various reasons..
    Another good point on getting the neck-thru neck the surface where the bridge will be installed, will already be perfectly paralel to the fingerboard.

Well.. That's my advice.. Hope you get some good tips from experts..

good luck

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually I'd think buying a Carvin neck through neck and building wings might be easier than cutting a proper neck pocket.

4. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    good points i never really thought of. the neck through looks to be the same or less price than making the bolt so I think im gonna try the neck thru for the hell of it. I'll let people know once i get construction underway. and on another point, does anyone know where I could get some good instructions/ tips on making a neck thru bass.