1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

custom WISHBASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass., Apr 14, 2006.

1. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    so.. does anyone know of the wishbass?
    if not www.wishbass.com .. they're pretty cool.
    does anyone know how they sound?
    specs?
    pros & cons?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Do a search- the topic has been discussed to death. The one I had in my posession for a couple of months was by far the worst bass I've ever touched.

3. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    8224b580.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    It's called Wishbass because they wish they could make a bass.

-Mark

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Here we go.:rolleyes:

6. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    sarcasm and "wise" remarks are really unecessary.

7. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    ... not including mark and bryan

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK

Im pretty sure that's all you get.

Ive never had the misfortune to play one, but Ive heard over and over again that they are evil incarnate.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've played 2. Save your scratch.

10. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    through a few different website that had people who owned them said they were very good. the sound was like nothing they had ever held!... but that's why i asked to get opinion's from people here.
    by the way. for those of you who have played one or held one what was WRONG with them? what was it that you didnt like?
    thanks

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A microwaved cat sounds like nothing I've ever held as well. That's not necessarily a good thing. To answer your query, the playabilty was seriously flawed. The bridge didn't line up, the nut was uneven, the fingerboard radius looked like Stevie Wonder cut it, so the string spacing and height was uneven.

12. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

@ Bass.

Like has been said before, do a search.. Everything you ever wanted to know about the Wishbass but were afraid to ask!!!

13. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I had the, uhm, opportunity, to spend some time with a wishbass. My review of it can be found here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144940&page=10

Scroll down that page and see my impressions. Overall, it was poorly constructed and nearly unplayable, with a seriously bad hum and nasal tone. Spend your $200 on a fretless SX and you'll be much happier.

14. what is necessary is using the search feature. :) lol
    welcome to talkbass.

15. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Indeed, welcome to TB Wish.

Oh yeah baby, I can see through your disguise . . . . . . . . .

16. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    tI have two and really like both of them. One I got from a 3rd party on eBay. It started life as a 7 string, but I had a local luthier cut a new nut so it could be used as a 6 string. It's frettless, hollow body made of mahogany and while its a bass tuned EADGCF it looks like a 17th century viola da gamba and is played sitting, like a cello. (all pizz, no arco)

The other one is his new design the JB. It's made of African Wenge. It's fretted and the frets are in acurately, the bass plays in tune up to about the 21 fret and then it gets a little sharp, but not too bad. This bass tends to be a little neck heavy, but nothing I can't manage.

Neither bass has a truss rod and frankly I don't think they need it. If you are interested you should check with Steve Wishnevsky about that, he has some interesting thoughts about them and I agree. The gamba has a 7 piece neck of mahogany and maple... the JB is a 5 piece of walnut, maple and jatoba. Both are straight as can be and will not move.

They look very interesting, sound great, play well and I'm glad to have them. My Rickenbacker is still my #1, but I'd be fine with using the fretted JB on a gig. The gamba is my first fretless, and I'm getting better with it, but the band I play with is no place for any fretless, so that one stays at home.

I really don't understand why people here don't like Wish or his products. Perhaps I'm just lucky. I'd get another one if I had a need for a specific custom.

17. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    In the new BP magazine they had a picture of the bass player from the Violent Femmes playing a Wishbass.

18. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    You're not from around here, huh?:D

19. Hah hah LOL. I just gotta say, I've never had the pleasure of playing a Wish but Woodchuck has some great posts!

20. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Funny thing is none are being wise nor sarcastic. Dead honest. Wish stuff stinks to high hell.